Showing Honey.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reigate

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I would like to exhibit a jar of honey in the novices class at my local honey show. When entering a 1lb jar does this include the weight of the jar?
Any advice please.

A 1lb honey jar will hold a 1lb of honey and the weight is the "Net" weight.

Look at the labels you buy and you will be asked to specify the net weight.

There is an example of the labels here.

https://www.thorne.co.uk/labels/l1-to-l21/L1-labels-personalised-100

I have no idea how much my jars weigh as zero the scales once the jar is on them before filling.

I would like to exhibit a jar of honey in the novices class at my local honey show. When entering a 1lb jar does this include the weight of the jar?
Any advice please.

Crystal clear/clean jar inside and out. Fill to the neck of the jar so there is no visible space between honey and bottom of lid.
Good luck, enjoy the event.

Your honey should have NO bits in it.

And don't open jars within a week of teh show. The judges also judge by smell... so closed for a week at leats is essential for scent to build up.

If two jars required, they MUST be identical incl lids.

No rusty lids..

Some exhibits (!!!) have been seen with hair (dog) in them and rusty lids... .. the mind boggles..

Ensure you read the show schedule carefully and speak to the show sec for advice - I would hope they’ll only be to pleased to assist somebody entering for the first time.

Any advice please.

Unless it says otherwise, the jar has to be the standard squat 'Ministry' honey jar. fill it up to where the thread starts in the neck, this will ensure you can see no daylight between the honey and the bottom of the lid (this rule was brought in as not every honey jar is identical, but filling up to that level assures the judge there is at least a pound of honey in there)

Latest posts

Back