Plastic foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have searched on this site but cannot find an exact answer.
I have ready 10 wooden frames of plastic brood foundation, with the thin coating of wax which comes already on the frames. I intend to use this box of frames as a super in order to have the frames drawn out to use, after extracting, as replacement for dark old brood frames in a couple of hives.
My problem is that l have no extra wax to brush onto the plastic foundation. I understand the bees may not therefore take to the plastic?

I don't often put extra wax on plastic foundation. If you keep the 10 plastic frames all together in one box and put it on when they really need the space, hopefully it will be fine. No harm in feeding a bit too. I find that they normally draw them out fine but every so often you get a frame where they build wax the "wrong" way & you just have to scrape it off & put it between two properly drawn frames.

I don't often put extra wax on plastic foundation. If you keep the 10 plastic frames all together in one box and put it on when they really need the space, hopefully it will be fine. No harm in feeding a bit too. I find that they normally draw them out fine but every so often you get a frame where they build wax the "wrong" way & you just have to scrape it off & put it between two properly drawn frames.
Thank you, that's very helpful. But feeding, as the box of frames will be used as a super?

Thank you, that's very helpful. But feeding, as the box of frames will be used as a super?

I would not put a queen excluder on while getting the combs drawn. Feeding is there as an insurance; it's great when they are bringing in nectar and the weather is fine, but what happens if you get 3 days of rain? In my area rain is very common :icon_204-2: But it could be drought - suddenly the nectar dries up due to lack of moisture...

Another option is to catch a swarm and shake it into a box of just your foundation, put the QX on the floor, and feed until combs are drawn. (QX on the floor to prevent them absconding).

Don’t feed if your using the box as a super, brood frames fine!! I found plastic rather hit and miss years ago and now just stick to thin Unwired wax in all shallow frames.

Don’t feed if your using the box as a super, brood frames fine!! I found plastic rather hit and miss years ago and now just stick to thin Unwired wax in all shallow frames.

My understanding is that the OP has brood frames which need drawing out, and that use of "super" meant "on top of" rather than "for storing honey". Now I have actually read the OP (!) I see that I had a misunderstanding, so sorry about that.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the OP has brood frames which need drawing out, and that use of "super" meant "on top of" rather than "for storing honey". Now I have actually read the OP (!) I see that I had a misunderstanding, so sorry about that.
Phew, that's a relief! Your reply #4 was getting a bit complicated for a beginner!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back