P-a-y-n-e poly and entrace block/mouseguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alabamaeee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I took the plunge and bought a couple of the p-a-y-n-e poly 14x12 hives.

At the moment I am using the standard wooden entrance block after fixing a couple of self tappers to the floor to prevent the block disappearing inside. I'm not of course putting the block in at the moment as they are busy bringing in stores.

Haven't thought of anything clever to hold the block in, and don't want to stick any pins or nails into the foam as it's not a long term solution.

Also thinking ahead to winter, what do other members do for mouseguards on this hive?

Pin 2 lugs on the ends of the entrance block. Make them out of two pieces of thin wood or 1/4 inch ply the same width of the block and pin them to it so that they pertrude 1/2 inch over the end. This stops the block going to far in and is easy to pull out. Not sure about the mouseguard.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a number of ****** poly nucs, and I want to know, how you refill the feeder without drowning a load of bees. When I have had frame feeders in the past and I just swap them over for a new one to refill. With the ****** this is not possible.

Put a decent float in the nuc feeder or a bunch of grass or straw.

RE the mouse guard I put 9mm holes in a strip of ply, sand well, and that works fine.

PH

The entrance is 23mm high, I used 16mm wooden batten with two small pieces, 7mm high glued to form a pillar each end. The result is full width entrance that is around 7mm high and I don't use mouse guards.
Why do you need anything to stop it being pushed in too far? It should stay put without the need to secure it.

Latest posts

Back