Oxalic and Fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I intend to treat my hive with liquid Oxalic at the next convenient opportunity (weather permitting). Following a heft I am concerned that stores may be low, so I intend to apply some fondant.
Is there a required time between applying Oxalic and feeding fondant? or can it be done at almost the same time?

Thankyou.

If they need it,do it at the same time,saves disturbing them again,the less they are disturbed the better.

Do both together,you really dont want to be opening the hive twice this time of year if you can help it.

Treatment+feed = Less stress on the bee's.

EDIT: sorry Hivemaker,just seen your post above

I intend to treat my hive with liquid Oxalic at the next convenient opportunity (weather permitting). Following a heft I am concerned that stores may be low, so I intend to apply some fondant.
Is there a required time between applying Oxalic and feeding fondant? or can it be done at almost the same time?

Thankyou.

If honey stores are low then it might pay to add pollen/sub with the fondant, as bees with no pollen in the hives will burn of body fat and crash or be in a very poor state come spring.

Tony

I am not convinced that in the uk we need to use any type of pollen substitute.

I like the idea but have spoken with a few beekeepers this winter than run 250+ hives and they all say that in the past it has made no difference to the bees,just a difference to their profits regarding cost of soya yeast vitamins etc.

The last couple of winters I have been keen to make some up but after asking advice have been put off each time.

If you keep your bees in a area of plenty then you shouldn’t have a problem,
In my area there are times when the bees do struggle if we have a very long dry spell and the farmer have ploughed very inch of the fields in and pollen can be in sort supply, and a top up doesn’t do any harm when you getting bees ready for winter.

Tony

Back