overwintered double nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveG23

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have 2 polynucs with double brood boxes. Inspected yesterday and in the stronger of the two the queen is using 5 1/2 frames for laying, all in the top brood box.

The bees haven't even cleaned up the frames in the bottom box, e.g. 1 still has old pollen in it, so they dont seem to be using the bottom box at all in either hive.

I was planning to leave them to build up in the polynucs and then install them in a wooden hive when they are using more frames.

Should I swap the brood boxes over? Would they be more likely to start using the other frames if they are above them? Or does it not make a difference?

I could, once a build some roofs, just thought they would build up better leaving in the poly for a little while longer.

Reversal of the brood chambers allows the queen to go UP into empty laying space. Despite the empty cell space below they sometimes do not use it and "run out of laying space", and then they swarm. Get your roofs built pronto, or buy some .

Thanks both. Have reversed brood boxes for now. Have made some correx roofs that will do for a while when they need hiving.

Latest posts

Back