No activity from hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
Ive got two WBC hives, one single brood from a split last year. Doing great, lots of foraging and activity in the last couple of days in mild west London weather.

The second two brood box has nothing coming from the entrance at all even in the warmer weather. So at 13degC just now I opened up the roof, peered down a super which had no activity, removed it and this spilled about 50 or so bees out which flew with what one might describe as "disturbed semi irate activity" from the centre frames of the lower super. (I had two broods and two supers given the hive was in great shape in October). They buzzec about for a while and then have returned to the hive after I put the cover and roof on again.

It indicates I have of course living bees and the activity came from the centre of the hive indicating a decent cluster.

Wondered if the lack of activity might be a potential queenless hive? Lost her over the winter?

What should I do ? Ive tried giving the hive a good rap on the side but dont really hear anything.

Dont feel I want to open up yet for a full inspection, what with the cold snap on its way and would rather keep whatever is going on sealed up.

Maybe I'm worrying too much and some hives get active later than others?

Any suggestions?

Given there is nothing that can be done all that remains is to wait until a suitable day and then look. It is what it is.

PH

...wait for 15 deg and then inspect for the queen? Or indeed whatever else might be arising?

this sounds like curiosity got the better you, i think we have all been there ,

just make sure they have stores,remove the crown board and place a block of candy/fondant on the top bars as insurance and cover with a quilt or blanket, if it is a small colony they will need the extra insulation otherwise they will most likely die out,

as you have two hives you can make a decision what action to take when you do your spring inspection depending what you find

Different hives do different things. Some fly at lower temperatures than others. ,Some survive on a couple of frames of bees all winter but might be your strongest hive in midsummer. Like humans they have their own characteristics. Make sure the entrance is not blocked so that they CAN get out if they want to, put your ear to the side of the hive and see if you can hear a gentle buzz. And leave until they are ready!

E

Thanks all...

I guess thats what i wanted to know...have those of you with years of experience and many hives, seen early activity in one hive and then next door, another dormant for days..and then boom literally a hive of activity!

Just because one hive is busy at the entrance does not mean you get a single bee from another in the early stages of the active year?

.have those of you with years of experience and many hives, seen early activity in one hive and then next door, another dormant for days..and then boom literally a hive of activity!

As Enrico said they vary a lot. Sometimes you get a 20 minute spell when it seems like the whole hive has come out.......blink and you miss it.

Ive got two WBC hives, one single brood from a split last year. Doing great, lots of foraging and activity in the last couple of days in mild west London weather.

The second two brood box has nothing coming from the entrance at all even in the warmer weather. So at 13degC just now I opened up the roof, peered down a super which had no activity, removed it and this spilled about 50 or so bees out which flew with what one might describe as "disturbed semi irate activity" from the centre frames of the lower super. (I had two broods and two supers given the hive was in great shape in October). They buzzec about for a while and then have returned to the hive after I put the cover and roof on again.

It indicates I have of course living bees and the activity came from the centre of the hive indicating a decent cluster.

Wondered if the lack of activity might be a potential queenless hive? Lost her over the winter?

What should I do ? Ive tried giving the hive a good rap on the side but dont really hear anything.

Dont feel I want to open up yet for a full inspection, what with the cold snap on its way and would rather keep whatever is going on sealed up.

Maybe I'm worrying too much and some hives get active later than others?

Any suggestions?
Try a stethoscope... it works better than the human ear!

Sounds like a lot of boxes for an over Wintered colony, double brood plus two supers?
You moved the top super and disturbed about 50 bees, what was in the super below? Did you see evidence of a cluster looking down between the combs and what stores are there?
Colony behaviour can vary considerably but at 13 degrees I would expect to see activity and I'd be suspicious if there was none. Check beneath the hive for capping debris, see if there are signs of brooding.

2 x brood & 2 x super, no expert myself but would have expected the bees to be near the top of the hive with the recent cold snap (warm air rises) you did remove the QE?
Wingy

Whoops...I was a Physicist (once upon a time) and now I sit and ponder this I realise the hive is essentially a heat pipe. Too many boxes, heat lost to the top of the hive where no bees are.

Beginners take note....

There are bees down in the brood chamber I can see them. And today in 14deg I took the crown board off and had activity from 20-30 bees coming from the top. I peered down and can see lots going on so I have a hive. But diagnosis (so far) is much weakened hive and possibly queenless, due to poor heat management by non-thinking beginner beek. Perhaps what has saved them from complete wipeout is its a WBC so double walled, and well sheltered.

Making note ...I learn again.

Still not much at all from the entrance....

Whoops...I was a Physicist (once upon a time) and now I sit and ponder this I realise the hive is essentially a heat pipe. Too many boxes, heat lost to the top of the hive where no bees are.

Beginners take note....

There are bees down in the brood chamber I can see them. And today in 14deg I took the crown board off and had activity from 20-30 bees coming from the top. I peered down and can see lots going on so I have a hive. But diagnosis (so far) is much weakened hive and possibly queenless, due to poor heat management by non-thinking beginner beek. Perhaps what has saved them from complete wipeout is its a WBC so double walled, and well sheltered.

Making note ...I learn again.

Still not much at all from the entrance....
Did you see a cluster and how many seams of bees were in it? Don't beat yourself up.

I suggest you do not compound your problems by keeping looking and fiddling. You have now looked in twice in four days. Leave them alone and that will minimise heat loss, disturbance and increase their chances of survival.
I know it is difficult to resist a look in your early days, but before opening a hive you need to ask yourself why you are opening it. There is nothing you can do about their situation just yet, so let them be. Here we have snow again.

Try a stethoscope... it works better than the human ear!

I tried listening with my stethoscope several years ago but surprisingly couldn't hear much at all - and certainly less than placing my ear on the hive. I'll dust it down and try again and hopefully report back.

I used mine for 40 years while in medical practice. If using one make sure you get the correct ear piece in the correct ear. The arms of the ear piece should be pointing forwards, and the bell works better than the diaphragm when listening to a hive .

So after last week's cold snap I checked with stethoscope and heard nothing so went in and found a dead hive. Pictures attached. Looks like a cluster had survived but others were dead for a while judging by the rot (white decay).

I am throwing the frames away that look quite bad. But have kept others that have decent comb or stores.

Is it recommended to treat with 80% acetic and then freeze? Or should I send some bees for testing?

Or just chuck the lot?
95ed6b1789730ac437accc753e408240.jpg
03704748da26f4c895c3ced76630f508.jpg
6131d6b84d9d5c0680c6ef67af30dd04.jpg
d490779800ef9947b392fbd3e88db840.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back