New swarm- advice needed please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there was 20,000 in the swarm the whole box would have been drawn in a week.

not all the brood is bumpy like in the picture, there are uncapped brood cells which contain larvae.

The swarm when collected was 20000 strong. I guess that's why they are making a new queen to avoid being 'doomed'

Keep an eye on the capped cells but from the pictures I think Hivemaker is spot on. If all you see is raised cappings your colony is in trouble and you will need to get a frame with some eggs from a known good queen or buy a new queen.

Ask around in your association for some one local to you to pop round and ask them for some advice or you will be disappointed if the colony can not raise a good queen and they all die off.

If there was 20,000 in the swarm the whole box would have been drawn in a week.

I only say that as it's what my mentor told me on collection of the swarm, this isn't the issue anyway, I just wanted to know what I should do concerning the queen cells. My mentor is coming over sunday might have more luck there....

I only say that as it's what my mentor told me on collection of the swarm, this isn't the issue anyway, I just wanted to know what I should do concerning the queen cells. My mentor is coming over sunday might have more luck there....

They are not queen cells, any brood or eggs? Hold the combs up with the sun behind you shining in to the comb. If you can see a small rice like grain you have eggs. If there are more than one egg in the cells you have a young queen or drone laying worker.

Emily, look closely at this frame, in the middle you will see small white flecks
Do your frames look like this?

Just a reinforcment to what nopants is saying! I am like tesco, every little helps!

IMG_4025resize.jpg

Latest posts

Back