moving a hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kronkie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I am thinking of moving a hive to a new location that is over 3 miles from the original site and my logic is as the bees are not flying much at the moment it would be a sound idea to do this move now.

Am I right or wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Kronkie.

What would the problem be under 3 miles?

None at this time of year,and during a long cold spell, they can even be moved within the same apairy.

Slightly simplifyed answer..

In the summer it is not advisable to move hives within the bee's "flying range" (aside from moves which are less than 3 feet) as they will spot landmarks that they have seen on their foraging voyages and use these landmarks to guide them back to the old site of the hive. They will then just form a cluster on the site of the old hive.
Therefore when you move hives in summer the move should be either "3 feet or 3 miles".

However, the "winter bees" would have done comparitively little flying in their lifetime. This means that when the cluster breaks in spring and the bees start flying proper there is not the same problem.

Ben P

Last edited:
About three weeks ago l Moved two hives 20ft and another 5ft all to help with access for work , All bees were flying quite happily last Tuesday

Thanks. Another lesson learned for when I get my first hive this spring. Can't wait:D

Any colony moved for more than about a fortnight (and certainly three weeks), without flying, will re-orientate on exit from the hive.

That is why they can be moved within the apiary at this time of the year, as long as the weather is taken into account.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back