looking for a mentor in Shropshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telford_keeper

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I am new to bee keeping in the sense that I have only just purchased a hive, but I have been reading and thinking about it for ages.

I have recently been given the space and chance to have a hive at my girlfriends parents house, as they live near RAF Shawbury and are surround by hectares and hectares of fields and aggriculture land. There is plenty of room for the bees and they will not cause any problems from the neighbours as there is not many close by. :)

I recently had a swarm in the tree in the garden but was too slow to catch them and had no where to house them.

My first question is what is the likelihood of another swarm landing nearby. Are they likely to swarm to the same place, or is it a completely random act of navigation to their gathering place?

Just to say welcome to the forum. Although not the most local forumer, you are very welcome to come and spend some time on my apiary south of Shrewsbury. Not so very far - I collected a swarm from Waters Upton earlier in the season.

Once the smell of the queen disappears I can see no reason for a swarm to pick one landing point over another...they survey potential home sites from there. However bees do serially visit potential sites to set up home year on year.

Some swarms are still around this area: had two in the last two weeks and missed two more as away beginning of this week. You'd do best to join a BKA and let the swarm co-ordinator know you're interested, although things will be quietening down now unless the weather does anything else very odd, and they will likely give preference to those who have done a course. And get some hands on experience if you can :).

Thank you.. I would definitely love to come and see you and get some tips. I have my hive assembled and coated it in the sun yesterday with linseed oil.

I know there is a couple of bee events in shropshire soon, one at Wyevale, Telford and another in market drayton, so i will be trying to attend those also.

Are you a member of a BKA?

Hi Telford_Keeper, I would say I am at the same stage as yourself doing lots of reading but no bees at the moment ..... just encase you don't know the Shropshire Beekeepers' Association will be at the Shrewsbury Flower Show on the 12th & 13th of August I will be going to see if I can gain a little knowledge from a few members.

Hi....yes, I'm active in both Ludlow & District BKA and their bee improvement group and we do occasionally go to Monty Bees events.

Will drop you a PM...

Back