How to start

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I understand about grafting (I'm not much good at it, but that's a different issue), and about the whole process from then to laying. However, what I'm not at all clear about is how to start.

As I understand it, if I have a queen and the workers start to draw queen cells from charged grafted cups, that'll just end up either in a swarm or the queen will eliminate competition. So, does the host hive have to be queenless? Or should I be looking at a snelgrove board? Or is there an easier method?

I understand about grafting (I'm not much good at it, but that's a different issue), and about the whole process from then to laying. However, what I'm not at all clear about is how to start.

As I understand it, if I have a queen and the workers start to draw queen cells from charged grafted cups, that'll just end up either in a swarm or the queen will eliminate competition. So, does the host hive have to be queenless? Or should I be looking at a snelgrove board? Or is there an easier method?

Queenright:
Read about Cloake board. You might like it. At my place more and more is used.

Queenless:
But if want I recently translated in english at other bee forum one part of the book about queenless breeder.

Last edited:
Queenright:
Read about Cloake board. You might like it. At my place more and more is used.

Queenless:
But if want I recently translated in english at other bee forum one part of the book about queenless breeder.

Thank you Goran, Cloake board looks just right.

Ben Harden has published a booklet and he also has another published in the Nutshell series by Northern Bee Books. Do try to lay hands on them.
Goran has quite rightly reccommended the Cloake Board

Ben Harden has published a booklet and he also has another published in the Nutshell series by Northern Bee Books. Do try to lay hands on them.
Goran has quite rightly reccommended the Cloake Board

The Ben Harden method looks even easier and is very low-touch, not really impacting the bees - http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/benhardenmethod.html

I also came across something not dissimilar from the BIBBA website - the Steve Rose Method. It seems really simple too.

Louth beekeepers are starting a queen rearing and bee improvement project in 2016

Latest posts

Back