Hiving a Nuc - Too late?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its.only.money

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I have a Nuc, started in July, that was started from a purchased queen and some bees shaken from another hive. My own fault in that I probably didn't take enough bees initially so it was slow to build up.
However, in a 5 frame nuc, I now have 3 good frames of bees with plenty of BIAS. The other two frames are half drawn and have a little stores.

My question is... do I keep them in the nuc, feed hard so that they have plenty of stores, and attempt to overwinter in the nuc. Or do I move to an empty brood box? My thoughts are with option 1, however, I haven't overwintered a colony in a nuc before hence my hesitancy.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

They stay in a nuc and feed.
Not because it's too late to hive a really strong nuc, but because they're not yet a really strong nuc.
If there were bees on all frames putting wax in any crevice with 4 or more good frames of brood id hive them.
Yours sound as if they'll be up to ideal strength in time for winter with the box they're in.

With out seeing bees in the box it’s hard to say but as you suggest the 2 outside frames are only partly used then i suggest there’s not enough there to warrant a brood box yet although you could later dummy down a brood and with some decent weather and feed you could expect them to do well enough to warrant a extra frame or so for stores. I would suggest you get treatments in and some feed on so they at least get outside frames filled/complete. Also no problems in wintering in a nuc you will however need to be proactive in monitoring weight

I have just sold a 5 frame Lang jumbo nuc to a beginner . He has hived it in an 8 frame hive and feeding it like crazy: they are drawing comb.

BUT: the nuc was stuffed to bursting with bees.
There were 4 frames of capped brood and Brood in all stages.
It is housed in a sheltered garden with in a built up area so partially insulated from cold weather.
He has added insulated dummy boards (I gave him them)

Unless your nuc has 5 frames of bees and at least 3 frames of brood, it is unlikely to do well in the wider volume of a 10 frame hive. You could reduce the size down using dummy boards made from insulation board and remove them one by one as the hive expands.. (I successfully helped a lady last year in October do that and the hive survived despite being very weak.)

BUT it's a gamble and you need to know what you are doing##. Far less of a gamble is to leave in nuc and hive them in Spring.. (which is what I would do).

## I sometimes wonder if I do..:paparazzi:

Back