Had to run for it today!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
Ye gods, something has irritated the bees today. I managed to cut the grass in front of the hives this morning without any problems and stayed in the garden most of the day, also without any worries but some time around 5pm there were angry bees throughout the (very large) garden and we decided to head for home sharpish-like. I am having a bit of a terrible time with wasps this year but they are mostly keeping away from the hives because there is rotting fruit not too far away and it makes me think that the bees have got hold of the fermenting fruit and are adopting the same, pissed, attitude as the wasps.

I agree. My hives were angry today too. A lot of bees in the air. Maybe the wind yesterday got them agitated.

Yes....strange when that happens. I am finding that the wasps are possibly unnerving them, even more so this year.

Yes....strange when that happens. I am finding that the wasps are possibly unnerving them, even more so this year.
This also happens when you get a robbing frenzy. My neighbour left wet frames out accidentally. Within minutes the whole are was surrounded with bees looking everywhere for the free food. They were in Windows, garages, anywhere! Then once we realised the problem they were gone just as quickly!

This also happens when you get a robbing frenzy. My neighbour left wet frames out accidentally. Within minutes the whole are was surrounded with bees looking everywhere for the free food. They were in Windows, garages, anywhere! Then once we realised the problem they were gone just as quickly!
I must admit, the bees don't bother me or worry me at all whilst they're flying around in numbers and I'm actually doing some 'beekeeping', but I find them far more unnerving when they're in a bit of a frenzy over some food source or another. They really seem to change 'character'.

I must admit, the bees don't bother me or worry me at all whilst they're flying around in numbers and I'm actually doing some 'beekeeping', but I find them far more unnerving when they're in a bit of a frenzy over some food source or another. They really seem to change 'character'.
You’re right there. Mine seem most frisky during the Winter when out collecting water. They really resent me getting in their way.

Latest posts

Back