Got lucky or the start of things to come

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

I was called out yesterday to a hive I look after for a friend as I was told it had swarmed into next doors apple tree? It was a gorgeous day in Kingston and not typical for the past month.

Mmm me thinks that’s strange so went to investigate and found said swarm in tree and collected them.

Went and checked on the parent hive and found two what has to be described as supersedure cells on the central frames at the edge of the frame but plumb central. One was open with hinged lid the other ceiled?

On my previous inspection and first of the year I found the hive in reasonable shape 5 frames of brood and 7 frames of bees the least advanced of the hives I have and look after but with one suspect frame a splattering of drone cells where the previous year there were non, made a mental note to keep an eye on the hive and queen.

I don’t know what I have in the swarm it may be the old queen or she may have failed and gone and they decided to swarm with a virgin and time will tell after a few more days before I check on the swarm.

Today I checked my other 5 hives and of them 4 had queen cells and of the four three had ceiled queen cells but all the queens present so Demaree swarm control is now in full swing and I consider myself a lucky boy and thankful it was a bit cold and overcast today in west London.

So if anyone in the London area reads this check your bees they may just may be up to mischief early this year. This next week is expected to be bad with perhaps not much chance to inspect but when the weather breaks it may all kick off.

Hmmm, my bees were up to mischief yesterday as well, sealed queen cells but queen still present.

Hmmm, I was told that if you had a sealed queen cell that the old queen as gone ?? but I am just learaing not worthy

Tom,
Are they supered and have you checked their stores out to see if they ate too cramped? It seems quite early for swarming to be in full swing to me and perhaps they need more to do. Perhaps some fresh brood foundation and a super may keep them busy...

Well done for catching them, when was that initial inspection? What was the gap between them? I think we are now into the normal inspection cycle in many places now as both their activities and general temperature are on the increase.

All the best,
Sam

Hi Sam I think I was caught out by my early advanced conditions the bees are awash with pollen and a small amount of nectar and put this with the hot March weather we have had in the South East has put them in advance of themselves.

The only hive that bursting out of the bb is the one not showing any sign to swarm this hive has 9 frames of brood and making good progress on its super and I will double brood this hive next week.

All the other hives have room in the bb one was an over wintered 5 frame plywood nuc moved into a standard box only two weeks ago and now is well on their way to fill the bb.

In hindsight I should have given a couple of them supers last week as I know the location the hives are in and the forage available to them warrants it before the bb is full but I was simply caught out and slow off the mark with the unusually advanced conditions.

This next week the weather is set to be wet for me and very very welcome boy do we need it and if unsettled weather continues I just may have to feed them who knows but if the sun starts to shine again it may be an interesting year.

I don’t know if this is part to play but I fed the Thymol in the syrup last autumn?

The hive that swarmed is a worry but not as big if any of the others had gone.

This year I will be starting my program of queen rearing and have told the bees this bit did not expect them to be so keen bless them.

Hey Tom,

I couldn't agree more. My bees were up to lots of mischief a week ago. We're on 14x12, and they had lots of room, but I think they are of a swarmy disposition (that's how they arrived, and it looks like that's how they want to depart!). I did AS last week, and now have perfect sealed queen cells in one BB and the old queen still laying in the other.

There are many on the forum saying that the chances of getting a virgin mated in April are slim, but with advanced per-swarm measured in preparation, the warm weather has obviously fooled the bees into bees thinking otherwise! Fingers crossed then, for everyone!

My new queen(s) is due to emerge Tuesday/Wednesday, and so next weekend and thereafter will be key for weather. I have my eye on the long range forecast already.

Good luck with your bees, and may the weather be good to us, even if only briefly!

LJ

nearly got caught out myself.went to check on my hives on Friday only to be
greeted by at least 8 Queen cells some sealed a couple open, thought they had enough to be getting on with in regards to the two supers I had left them.knocked down the sealed ones left the 2 open ones. managed to find the Queen and cage her.went back yesterday and made up nuc. will go back in 4 days and choose which cell to go with and knock down any more they have made. If the weather was better I think they would have already gone.I was thankful the weather not being so good at the time, now want it to be sunny or I will be in similar situation as last year no mated Queen.who said I am never happy with the weather.At least I have 2 hives this year.beekeeping is like how divers see their knives and torches 1 knife is no knife, 2 knives is 1 knife. 1 beehive is no beehive 2 beehives is 1 beehive.

Hmmm, I was told that if you had a sealed queen cell that the old queen as gone ?? but I am just learaing not worthy

Yep, I was told that, sealed queen cell most likely they've swarmed already, but there must be some conditions where thats not the case. I'm speculating its the weather, gone cold now, and they were just waiting for a warm day to take off. :)

I have been called out to one like Toms, emerged d QC , old queen present.....and the beginner had no other equipement!!!!!!!

did not go but told them to put the old Queen plus a frame of brood in a borrowed 6 frame 14x12 nuc ( almost national size) plus foundation

also told them to wait until the new queen mate ( if she does), then re combine with best queen and buy a less swarmy queen in summer

Yep, I was told that, sealed queen cell most likely they've swarmed already, but there must be some conditions where thats not the case. I'm speculating its the weather, gone cold now, and they were just waiting for a warm day to take off. :)

they wont send her out on a suicide mission but will leave on first warm day, we had a similar problem in the first week of May 2010

a fortnight of warm weather a week of cold then one very warm day...everyone was out catching swarms in my area on that day

Hey not posted before but long time reader in my 3rd yr beeking . Just to reinforce the London thing ( im in nw london with a 14x 12 and a overwintered Nuc ) checked my 14x12 good friday and they'd drawn 1.5 frames of foundation and i had 2 cups charged with small amount of white milk since there last inspection 8 days before . So im off reading up on doing an As .

Nuc is on national size frames and while i like the 14x12 format they really are a dog to look into playcups without tearing them down as the frames are awkward size .

Latest posts

Back