entrance / exit holes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladaok

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Can anyone up date me on the fella who was testing a series of holes top / bottom of the brood boxes

Most of my effort is going into summer ventilation system. So far, i've got to the landing board, shut down to 1/2 width, the rear has a 3 mm gap the entire length & a 22 mm circular hole on the centre line and 80 mm from the top of the box on the landing board side. It is nearly mid winter here with a couple of frosts. although i've shut the boards down to 20 mm the amount of traffic through the central hole is staggering, the beggars prefer this hole to the landing board. I'm also thinking, this will almost retire condensation to the sidelines ?

With your winters, ... probably tape the back vent and reduce the hole size with a metal or plastic nuc disc

Next trick is two holes 200 mm apart and blocking one or the other to get an air flow inside

Can anyone up date me on the fella who was testing a series of holes top / bottom of the brood boxes

Most of my effort is going into summer ventilation system. So far, i've got to the landing board, shut down to 1/2 width, the rear has a 3 mm gap the entire length & a 22 mm circular hole on the centre line and 80 mm from the top of the box on the landing board side. It is nearly mid winter here with a couple of frosts. although i've shut the boards down to 20 mm the amount of traffic through the central hole is staggering, the beggars prefer this hole to the landing board. I'm also thinking, this will almost retire condensation to the sidelines ?

With your winters, ... probably tape the back vent and reduce the hole size with a metal or plastic nuc disc

Next trick is two holes 200 mm apart and blocking one or the other to get an air flow inside
The effect of ventilation holes is very dependent on the heat loss of the structure. What is the hive constructed from?

https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39029&page=8
This is the thread. He has taken some stick lately and has stated he is not coming back. I believe he is still active on other forums, but you could send him a PM or venture over to the other forums and see if you can find him.

That's a shame, what's the circumstances ? perhaps he should be taking a spoon of cement in the morning, and toughen up

Hive material is WOOD ...unfortunately

I look need of ventilation from number of ventilators. No need to ask others' advices when "bees tell".

The effect of ventilation holes is very dependent on the heat loss of the structure. What is the hive constructed from?

In my biggest hive I have 5 boxes and each has a 15 mm entrance.

Main entrance is 10 cm x 1 cm.

We have cold weathers at the beginning of summer. Dandelion is in bloom. Day temps 14-20C.
Last night it was 4C.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back