DIY project for some one with the nous .

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor meldrew

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have bought a new extractor, after my home brewed one that’s served me well for 25 years requires some tlc E78A8194-5FBD-44FE-9F11-6908812A7B55.jpegE78A8194-5FBD-44FE-9F11-6908812A7B55.jpeg

Very neat work and really takes care of what many overlook when buying an extractor, the cleanup afterwards.
You have made this is so simple with thoughtful and minimal framework design.
Only Brilliant and thank you for sharing here.

Very neat work and really takes care of what many overlook when buying an extractor, the cleanup afterwards.
You have made this is so simple with thoughtful and minimal framework design.
Only Brilliant and thank you for sharing here.
Yes it holds a surprising amount , is stainless steel . Electric driven . 9 frame .
shame to let it gather cobwebs when really it’s only the motor that requires attention! . 73A21133-97DD-47F3-A615-4DA634798A8B.jpeg

very intresting and intrested. looks well desinged and made tho i dont know much about extractors. id be keen to take it on as a project, not needed an extractor yet but hopefully will next year.

Hi, sorry I’ve not been in touch in such a long time, life seems to of taken over. Do you still have the spinner ? I totally understand if you’ve already let it go to someone else. If you do still have it, would it be possible to arrange to have it picked up in the next 7-10 days.
Regards Paul

Hi, sorry I’ve not been in touch in such a long time, life seems to of taken over. Do you still have the spinner ? I totally understand if you’ve already let it go to someone else. If you do still have it, would it be possible to arrange to have it picked up in the next 7-10 days.
Regards Paul
I’m sorry Paul I thought you had given up on having a go . It has now been put to use by somebody else !

Ok, sorry for messing you about. I think I’m going to buy some stainless bar and try to copy your design. Any tips on what bar sizes to use to make it sturdy but not over the top ? I know a chap who can help with the stainless welding. I’ve got a hand one with the square mesh basket that only takes four frames and only spins one side at a time. Once again sorry for messing you about.

The cage which is a 9 frame plus the top and bottom bearings I purchased from Thornes !
The barrel , top and bottom bars were constructed to suit the cage !
I believe the self same cage is still in Thornes catalogue .

I'd advise against trying to make an extractor seriously i was a fabricator by trade and have a more than capable workshop. i looked at one cast the tape over it and ordered the materials when i saw the invoice for the materials i used them on another job and decided just to hire one this year and order one next year

I'd advise against trying to make an extractor seriously i was a fabricator by trade and have a more than capable workshop. i looked at one cast the tape over it and ordered the materials when i saw the invoice for the materials i used them on another job and decided just to hire one this year and order one next year
I made mine 30 years ago . I purchased the cage, shaft ,top and bottom bearings . The basic extractor was build around these !
I like yourself would caution against home brewed .I had access to full fab shop facilities plus materials and skills .
even then the lads didn’t factor in the frame lugs , meaning both top and bottom bars had to be realigned!
during last years lock down I had a lot of supers to deal with and the trusty motor required some tlc . I couldn’t get out . Trade counters were shut . I resorted to purchasing a an off the shelf extractor which fell short of what I was using in some areas but excelled in others .

Latest posts

Back