capped brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren64

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
after losing a swarm,and then the new queen disappeared as well,I tried a frame of eggs,this only produced 2 of the poorest queen cells,so after weeks of being broodless and queenless I bought a mated queen which arrived and was introduced to my hive last friday,when I checked today(6 days later)I found the new queen,and 3 frames of brood in various stages,but some had been capped already,I went through the hive twice looking for another queen but I could still only find the new queen,is this possible?

can you give us a bit more info please was the queen released from her cage last Friday ?

Worker brood is capped after 8-9 days. So you likely did have another queen in there before the bought on was introduced

Worker brood is capped after 8-9 days. So you likely did have another queen in there before the bought on was introduced
I checked for a queen again,after I read 8-9 days in my notes but still can't find a queen,only the new one,I'm gonna have another look tommorow with my daughter.

Did you check the cage when you took it out as you might find the queen was dead in it, or released and then balled and killed, happens so many times that is why a test frame is always advised to see if the hive is Q-

Did you check the cage when you took it out as you might find the queen was dead in it, or released and then balled and killed, happens so many times that is why a test frame is always advised to see if the hive is Q-
the queen I bought isn't dead,she's roaming freely through the brood box,I checked again tonight with my daughter,but we still couldn't find another queen,Is it possible the new queen could have killed an existing queen?like I said earlier,the queen cells on the frame of eggs where very small(hardly bigger than a drone cell).

Your test frame had eggs and brood I suspect what you have seen is capped brood from this frame.

Sorry thought it was the new queen you could not find, what does the capped brood look like as you might have had a laying worker with the colony Q-, where they slightly domed ?

Sorry thought it was the new queen you could not find, what does the capped brood look like as you might have had a laying worker with the colony Q-, where they slightly domed ?
it was flat cappings,like normal worker brood

You have another hive. Take a larva frame and test the queen presence.

A month ago I had a hive which abandoned all queens. I cannot fint the queen. I joined 2 frames of queenless broodframes there.
Then I found the queen on brood frame. It was totally teared. No wings and no laying. It hindered to give a new queen.

You may plit the hive in two parts. If another part become nervous, it has not queen. It happens in couple of hours. Then again.

Or in nice day put an excluder in front of the hive. Then shake all bees in front of hive. Bees walk in and the queen remains out. ....unless it is not worker size.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back