bin it i presume?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
well i have managed to well and truely begger up! nothing new there. The girls managed to collect a stash of osr last year and due to moving house it was not removed before it solidified. after reading that frame could be slowly warmed and honey removed i did this and had it all in a large sealed bucket where it set rock hard again. I read up on how to cream the honey and followed the instruction, however i jared it up and it all seemed to be setting nicely until i realised there was a layer at the top of each jar that looked differant. I opened one up just to have a peek and all i can presume is that it is fermenting as it had a hord of bubbles at the top - what to do now i presume is just to bin the lot ( 10 jars) any ideas why this happened??

How much has it set now? how many air bubbles. Creaming can introduce air, which will rise to the top as it sets, and give a slight different looking "cap" on osr honey. I never worry about it, and the honey is always fine.

honey tastes absolutly fine and tbh i mixed it slowly in kenwood so could be too much air. it has set except for the top bit which is foamy. but it looks more like it has expanded which is what made me think it had fermented. had thought about giving it back to girls but know it cant if its fermented, so if it still tastes ok and no one has said it is poisonous then will just use it for me

Almost certainly air bubbles. Not good for shelf appeal if you're selling it, and you'd lose points on the show bench- but no problem other than that.

Enjoy!

air bubbles created by creaming, just eat it yourself sounds fine to me, rare for osr to be fermenting, if fermenting it would have pushed the lids off

If it was all capped when extracted and melted in entirety, it will be good and will not ferment (bees are not stupid). If only partly melted there may be problems with some of it, but if homogenous, I can't see any problem.

The only time I have had fermenting honey was when I part-melted and used the liquid part of a bucket of honey. Lesson learned and have never had any problem since.

It sounds as though it should be fine.

Trying to 'cream' it in the Kenwood was the mistake. That will give bubbles.

realised kenwood was the mistake but had no other option. you say pushed off well they arent pushed off however to me it looks like they are fuller then when i filled them or does this happen when the bubbles move around. when I open it the top stuff spills over the jar.

so annoyed with myself. but im still here so guess its not too poisonous so will keep it i guess

Thanks for the confirmation

Latest posts

Back