Bees under the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilfredbuck

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
OK... next little issue.

I went away on holiday for a week and had a friend look after the bees (just the one hive). unfortunately there was an issue involving putting the sealed crown board onto the brood box in-between the supers for a few days... it got sorted when they realised (by unplugging one of the holes in the CB)

But I have got back and done a hive inspection – I have seen the queen and the Hive is really really full. My problem is that I have a whole load of bees sat under the hive.

I am hoping with me removing the crown board completely so now there is just the queen excluder, this should give the bees more room to move up and down?
Do I move these bees from below and put on the Varroa board to stop them congregating there

opinions really welcome

Attachments

• IMG_3813.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3816.JPG
    IMG_3816.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3817.JPG
    IMG_3817.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3818.JPG
    IMG_3818.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3819.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3820.JPG
    IMG_3820.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3821.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
Could you not just gently brush or smoke them off in small batches and place a board below the entrance to stop them underflying back to where they were? I'm thinking they are all flyers anyway and will go back to the correct entrance...
Good luck
K ;)

Is /was the queen clipped ?
Are you 100% sure it isn't a swarm ?

Brush /shake them into a BB with combs and set up temp as a second colony directly next adjoining to the parent colony.
If they are just clustering due to lack of space they should re enter the parent hive, if they have a Q they won't , one can check them 24 hrs later to see if a Q is present.

If hive is congested and one is 100% there is no Q with them then the bees may have had no option but to cluster underneath, find a temp stand to place the BB on and shake the bees under neath into the supers . Reassemble hive job done , one doesn't need to do much else.

I have had a QR hive that has had a swarm arrive and cluster on it before now.

Last edited:
Could you not just gently brush or smoke them off in small batches and place a board below the entrance to stop them underflying back to where they were? I'm thinking they are all flyers anyway and will go back to the correct entrance...
Good luck
K ;)
This sounds like the right way to go on the basis you have seen the queen inside the brood box. It just might be a separate swarm underneath but highly unlikely.

Latest posts

Back