jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
if I put any type of sugar fondant ex in a colony they will leave. ( I don’t cut my queens wings)
I know many beekeepers (with multitudes of hives) who feed nothing but fondant, I know many more beekeepers who supplementary feed fondant - especially emergency late winter feeding.
Yet to hear one saying that their bees have absconded due to a piece of fondant in the hive.
I'm guessing you didn't treat your bees and they just died out.

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
I shut down my hive and put in winter stores and verroa strips in November last year. When I inspected the hive in February, they had all gone. I live in Normandy, France. What did I do wrong? All help appreciated. Austin
Does that mean you left the varroa strips inside the hive until Feb ?

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Anyway @Austin , what's done is done, you've picked up a few learning points (apart from the few who were just out to score points) we have a vague idea what went wrong (we think) my advice would be to stick with the forum, pick up some useful points during winter discussions and then start afresh in the spring (and don't forget, or be afraid to ask for help on here)

Last edited:

Austin 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Anyway @Austin , what's done is done, you've picked up a few learning points (apart from the few who were just out to score points) we have a vague idea what went wrong (we think) my advice would be to stick with the forum, pick up some useful points during winter discussions and then start afresh in the spring (and don't forget, or be afraid to ask for help on here)
Hi, can you advise me when I should add the verroa strips, and also when I should remove them, please?
Regards,
Austin

hemo 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
Treatment before feeding so treat and be done by early October or before, locally may differ dependant on climate.

Latest posts