Barnet & D BKA change Counties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
i understand Barnet want to change County BKAs

The Federation of Middlesex Beekeepers has agreed for them to affilate and Barnet resolved to disaffiliate from Hertfordshire county Beekeepers Assocation

makes sence as Barnet are in the FERA South East Region whereas Herts are in FERA eastern Region

My memebership number has changed from 31.16.*** to 44.16.***.....so i bet that means i dont get BBKA news next month

Last edited:
Why did they keep the 16 as that's the division number or whatever it's called afaik? We only have "0" which is why I don't know....

Can't see how the county structure does much. Ok for arranging exams and conventions but it's just another layer of admin.

I understand that the county technically owns the assets of the local association so raise loads of money and in theory it's theirs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand that the county technically owns the assets of the local association so raise loads of money and in theory it's theirs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Not an expert, but afaik it's dependent on the history and constitution. Some are branches of one county association, some are independant associations and the county organisation has no assets of their own, which I was told is the Middx case. A good indication is that if the local BKA is a separate charity it has met the basic requirements of accounting, constitution etc. and is capable of owning assets. This may be gossip but the Middx capitation is significantly lower than Herts.

Some associations are individually affiliated to the BBKA but the BBKA are not keen on encouraging that - Twickenham I was told is in Middx historically but not part of Middx county BKA. A member may be able to confirm or refute that.

Barnet & District was independent from its foundation in 1911(or before) until about the mid 1990s when it affiliated to Herts County for BBKA membership, it never declared it assets in a joint account with Herts County

The Herts constitution next year is being changed

with 90+ members we were i think the 2nd largest BKAs in Herts C and yes the middx capitation is lower than Herts ( which also claims i think gift aid on capitation ,though as i had never filled in a gift aid form, perhaps not on my capitation

Last edited:
I should point out that Middx is a 'federation' of 5 separate associations. They each run their own education programs, apiaries, membership lists, accounts and assets. They are each recognised as charities separately responsible to the commissioners as far as I know.

On the North London website the Middx federation role is listed as limited to county classes at the National Honey Show, an annual day of lectures, a representative to the BBKA delegate meeting and communicating policy information to and from BBKA. In many ways that reflects the restrictions of the BBKA organisation when it was set up. A period before glossy monthly circulars nationally to each member. When assembling a roomful of delegates was the only practical way to take a series of policy votes.

The practical benefit that still stands is that we can assemble enough people in a room to attract nationally known speakers. I hope Barnet can add to the numbers and the lectures can continue whatever the BBKA evolves into.

Oh, and if I can speak as an ordinary Middx member, I'm sure the Barnet members will be very welcome as the sixth association in the federation.:)

The whole county structures seema dogs breakfast.
I went to a county convention last year. One of the clubs I am a member of is independent to county. Got asked why is your branch separate - don't you like us?
No idea as the split happened in 1945 and it wasn't something I knew or cared about when I joined.

Latest posts

Back