Bait hives set

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the ingredients that I wanted never arrived,I contacted the company who kept saying "Next 10 days".

I have found another company in London who have said they can get it but only in litre bottles @ ?78 a bottle plus delivery,I only wanted about 20mls.

Are you going to tell us what it is? Somone on here might have it or get it cheap(er) /free???

Or is it somthing like the sweat from a virgins fore-arm collected under a full moon:svengo:

Got a few brood boxes, some old comb and a bottle of lemongrass oil, just need to find a good spot. Some of the reading I've done suggests placing the bait hive as high as five meters from the ground, is this necessary?

Just a quick comment about the forum, it seems much more friendly here than at the other one where some of the members seem somewhat prickly :cheers2:

Thanks to everyone who makes us newbees feel welcome

Most sages recommend placing the bait hive some distance off the ground but I think 5 mtrs is a bit excessive - head high is usually enough. Good luck you could well be successful as this year looks as if it is going to be very "swarmy". I have had 2 swarms from mine already:(

Calling some members of the "dark side" prickly is an understatement:patriot: welcome to the:):) forum

Hi Again,

As we all know bees are in short supply.

We have however got the hives set up read for when stocks become available via are local BBKA.

I have placed both hives at there final location.

Me and the wife spent an hour or so yesterday watching two or three scout bees going in and out of one of the hives, a dozen times or more. This happened about 5-6pm no sign since :toetap05:

I have not put any frames in the hives as yet as I don't want to encourage wax moth etc. So they are just empty with two supers, crown board and roof.

My question is this.... whats the idea bait hive...ie how many supers if any, what size entrance etc etc.

Regards Repy.

Last edited:
To make a bait hive attractive to scout bees it needs to be of brood chamber size with frames of foundation and one frame of old drawn comb - the blacker the better. Wax moth do not usually bother foundation. The entrance needs to be closed up to about 1". I would remove and store the supers. A few drops of lemon grass oil and you are all set - good luck:)
Mike

Thanks MJBee,

One solitary bee came back today 10.30am-12.30am (in and out of the hive again).

Nothing since!

I have made the necessary adjustment as you suggested so we will see what tomorrow brings??

Regards Repy.

Back