Anybody taken any honey yet?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to be getting a lot more bees but unfortunatly no honey.

My bees are right in OSR but seem to be going for flowers in the hedge rather than the field.

I seem to be getting a lot more bees but unfortunatly no honey.

My bees are right in OSR but seem to be going for flowers in the hedge rather than the field.

The native species have seen it all in the last few thousand years- they're used to it!

OSR is a curse this year!

It's not the OSR - it's the bl**dy weather!![/
Very strange year as my V Queens are managing to get mated okay but the workers are struggling, bit like the
UK population in this recession !
??
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stiffy,

So now you are blaming it on Cameron? :)

No, it's the EU to blame unless you are a Tory and want denigrate the last lot. Come the next election it will be the Lib Dems who are to blame for everything :)
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No, it's the EU to blame unless you are a Tory and want denigrate the last lot. Come the next election it will be the Lib Dems who are to blame for everything :)
S

Rubbish
It's Global Warming.

(The nutters have gone quiet on GW)

My bees just building up and I fed two of them today the rest still finishing off the winter stores - very little flowering up here and I'm not near any osr

I thought it was global warming & horizontal drought that had been stopping my inspections

Nothing in Norwich.:nopity:
I having to put brown sugar on my porridge...

So close they can walk to the rape

Moved 5 of my hives into a friends garden adjacent to a field of rape a couple of weeks ago and so far very little sign of rape being collected even on the day it didn't rain. :(

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have been told by a local farmer that certain type of OSR now being grown (hybrid) are of not much use to bees.

If it's true then I guess I may have a field of the hybrid stuff beside my hives, as they are not interested, or maybe it's been the poor weather.

I stopped adding syrup a few days ago, and the bees are just about breaking even - small amounts of honey stored, some comb being built, but another really wet week and they'd need feeding again. No hope of any honey for quite a while, and two hives are waiting for VQs to return, so no new brood. Plus, the remaining Queen isn't laying much either. So, whilst they're apparently healthy and with lots of bees, none of my colonies is going to be productive of anything for a good couple of weeks, I think.

My neighbour is in the same situation. I think I'll avoid taking any honey at all until much later in the season this year, given the weather wierdness. It seems unfair on the bees. Hopefully another Indian summer will help to fill the coffers in autumn...

Extracted 111lbs (50.45kg) from 5 hives yesterday, although tbh a couple of supers only had a few frames capped for extraction.

Waiting for the next batched to be capped. Hopefully next extraction next weekend!

In the last ten days or so they have gone from close to starving to 1 or 2 supers filled . Caught us out on Saturday with a beginners course , expecting to lift the supers off easily and finding they were nowhere near as light as we thought .
Will spin this off next week before it goes brick like .
G

Checked my two yesterday just starting to put a little in the first super

Planned to extract yesterday. Probably got about 4 supers on 1 hive (out of 6 there at the moment :)) full of nectar, partially capped.
Checked with the refractometer - capped is at 18%, uncapped at 20.5% so extraction postponed until the weekend.

Latest posts

Back