Alarm Mines

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Upon perusing the net for security ideas for the allotment i came across ' Alarm Mine ' . Simple device that fires a 12 gauge blank when the device is tripped. Thought it might be a consideration for apiary security. Well, aslong as you remember where you have lined out the trip wire/line.

It may not prevent theft but will certainly startle an intruder and alert neighbours/farmer etc.

;)

Last edited:
Upon perusing the net for security ideas for the allotment i came across ' Alarm Mine ' . Simple device that fires a 12 gauge blank when the device is tripped. Thought it might be a consideration for apiary security. Well, aslong as you remember where you have lined out the trip wire/line.

It may not prevent theft but will certainly startle an intruder and alert neighbours/farmer etc.

;)

Scenario A: old dear enters allotment to retrieve hat blown off by the wind .... triggers 12 gauge blank ..... cardiac arrest.

You need a plan for disposal of accidentals!!!!:D

Scenario A: old dear enters allotment to retrieve hat blown off by the wind .... triggers 12 gauge blank ..... cardiac arrest.

Reminds me of the hang gliding club to which I used to belong:

We had as members a doctor, an undertaker - and me, a cleric.

Sort of had that side of things pretty well covered!

Dusty

Reminds me of the hang gliding club to which I used to belong:

We had as members a doctor, an undertaker - and me, a cleric.

Sort of had that side of things pretty well covered!

Dusty

Round here we have a peculiar situation where the undertaker is always the local publican. So contributes to customers demise ..... a quick switch of headgear ...... buries customer ....... another switch ...... congregation back to the pub for grub/consolation .................. and repeat. It's a nobrainer :D

I recommended those mines to a friend, that kept having chickens stolen from his garden (bordered by fields) he ordered a dozen, fitted them, then a few days later noticed chickens missing, and the blanks had been removed and balanced on top of the firing mechanism, a bit like a calling card saying "cant catch us"
so they don't always work the way you hope
me, I'd sit waiting with the shotgun and blow their bl**** heads orf

There you have the wonders of composting and the marvel of bokashi...

Having viewed videos of alarm mines they don't appear to be particularly loud.

These flashbang devices will do the trick:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpcZeKlGGHg[/ame]

You may want to forward to 02:30

You could buy a paintball mine. They make a load bang and cover the burglar with fluorescent paint - easy for the police to identify the offender, but you could still be sued if they suffer a heart attack or fear of one.

you also need a shotgun certificate to purchase the blanks (strange quirk in the new firearms act - you can have shotgun ammunition in your posession without being a certificate holder, but you need a ticket to buy)

you also need a shotgun certificate to purchase the blanks (strange quirk in the new firearms act - you can have shotgun ammunition in your posession without being a certificate holder, but you need a ticket to buy)
I think that 'quirk' is for the corporate clay days; you don't need restrictions to borrow a gun for half an hour to use under supervision. The easiest line to draw is at purchase of guns and ammunition where dealers are already regulated. Practically it means you can borrow or hire kit to try shooting. Otherwise you would need to do all the paperwork and need to know about gun storage etc. before you could even try it.

I think that 'quirk' is for the corporate clay days; you don't need restrictions to borrow a gun for half an hour to use under supervision. The easiest line to draw is at purchase of guns and ammunition where dealers are already regulated. Practically it means you can borrow or hire kit to try shooting. Otherwise you would need to do all the paperwork and need to know about gun storage etc. before you could even try it.

Not quite.
Corporate days are a different matter and quite a bit involved.
You need to be a certificate holder to buy ammunition from an RFD (you could always buy from a 'friend' but same part of the act applies) where else would you buy from?
Am unlicensed person can use (not borrow) a gun as long as the person is under the direct supervision of the Shotgun certificate holder and the shooting takes place on the Shotgun certificate holder's land (that also includes the land where the holder holds the shooting rights but that has to be a formal letting not just an ad hoc permission to go shooting)
With corporate days etc it has first got to be cleared by the police force for that area.

Not quite. Corporate days are a different matter and quite a bit involved...
Not suggesting otherwise. :) The local gun club runs corporate days on their range. Simply not practical if everyone needs vetting in advance to take out a certificate. Similarly, starters shooting days. Major revenue sources and the main route for recruits. The club wouldn't exist without them. At the high money level there are guests at commercially run game shoots or events at country hotels. Less formally, shooting with a friend or relative. My point was that what might appear a 'strange quirk' is a practical division in legislation as to where the line is drawn for needing a ticket. It's far simpler to implement than the cloud of gold plated nonsense that has emerged in areas such as child protection (at risk of going way off topic).

Not suggesting otherwise. :) . My point was that what might appear a 'strange quirk' is a practical division in legislation as to where the line is drawn for needing a ticket.

:iagree: But the point I forgot to make was originally there was no need for a shotgun certificate to buy or own ammunition (which I never saw a problem with then - gunpowder- low explosives no interest to terrorists they'd rather make some HE with a handful of still readily available domestic substances) It's just in one of the knee jerk law changes of the nineties they changed the 'purchase' bit but forgot about the 'holding' bit.
I forgot my Shotgun certificate at home once (I usually pass some big dealers on my way home from the boat (there's nothing really available locally) but had my section 5 firearms certificate on me - still wasn't allowed to buy shotgun cartridges when I got to the shop though.

Too much misinformation for me to stay quiet ...

Alarm mines can be sourced from:
http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_44_47&products_id=2964

The blank 12 gauge cartridges can be bought without any form of legal certification:
http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php...ucts_id=1303&zenid=6ltb95d1nque4i71n7gafsjr87

But the carriage for 'em costs an arm and a leg.

All blanks (including .303 and 9mm) are cert-free - unlike black powder, primers etc., which require certs.

LJ

Too much misinformation for me to stay quiet ...

well, you're correct about certification on blanks mea culpa (usual first day off fuzziness)

blanks are certificate free, it only dawned on me what i'd implied when i was over sorting out a club member's shotgun certificate - the difference with 'tother thinks you mentioned is they come under the 'composite parts' clauses of the act and you need a permit for black powder. There's also a crossover between the firearms act and the explosives legislation.
By the way Little John - you don't have a good source for an electric lead smelting pot?

Upon perusing the net for security ideas for the allotment...

We're considering putting a hive on our allotment this year.
Are there any security solutions for hives?

I thought the hive could be 'skewered' from top to bottom (in one corner) with a steel bar set in the ground with another bar padlocked through it horizontally above the crown board. This would prevent the hive being opened or lifted away in one move.

Are there any security solutions for hives?

I thought the hive could be 'skewered' from top to bottom (in one corner) with a steel bar set in the ground with another bar padlocked through it horizontally above the crown board. This would prevent the hive being opened or lifted away in one move.

With my sensible hat on the best method to deter allotment brigands is to get a mugshot on camera and let the police deal with it. I have a couple of infra-red game cameras which are about 6"x4" and run on batteries. Takes 3 pictures every time something warm blooded crosses its field and no flash or light. Google Reconyx - catches wildlife in all its forms. :D

Are there any security solutions for hives?.

The very first line of defence is to put a colony of bees into it!

Latest posts

Back