What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankyou for identifying the blue flower. I've an allotment and it thrives. Noting that it is clearly a useful forage plant don't strim or weed it out in some areas.
My field beans [grown as green manure] are in full flower now. They will be for the chop in a fortnight, though as I have vegetables to put in their place.
Broad beans though will need two or three weeks yet. I don't overwinter those as there seems to be little time gained, and wretched muntjac seem to attack them if they are not netted.

I’ve noticed the plant before but never seen bees on it, they were on a lot of perennials yesterday down by the riverView attachment 39758
The geranium looks like geranium phaeum samobor. It’s a really pretty one, likes partial shade and flowers late spring to early summer. It’s good for pollinators too.

The geranium looks like geranium phaeum samobor. It’s a really pretty one, likes partial shade and flowers late spring to early summer. It’s good for pollinators too.
Thanks for that - I thought it was a bit different 🙂 nice flower I’ll be back to dig a root up one day. 😁

This, according to PlantNet, is Garlic mustard (a brassica) and it is flowering in huge quantities on untended land here just now, especially margins. I see it's also called Jack-by-the-hedge. I looked up mustard as a crop. It's yellow (no surprise) and, according to my source, flowers in late summer. I guess that's farmers' practices though.

garlic mustard.jpg

This, according to PlantNet, is Garlic mustard (a brassica) and it is flowering in huge quantities on untended land here just now, especially margins. I see it's also called Jack-by-the-hedge. I looked up mustard as a crop. It's yellow (no surprise) and, according to my source, flowers in late summer. I guess that's farmers' practices though.

View attachment 39783
Nice one BeeKey.

Broad beans though will need two or three weeks yet. I don't overwinter those as there seems to be little time gained, and wretched muntjac seem to attack them if they are not netted.
Yes, I have to net BBs, otherwise the muntjac eat the pods - but only the lower half of each one - they obligingly leave the upper halves!

IMG_20240504_112212.jpgEvery Sycamore I walked past I could hear a decent buzz from. Spotted a few bees on them. Hopefully I will see some green pollen coming in.
Also I saw a couple bees on the apple blooms. Some later ones are only just opening but most apples been flowering for over a week.

Last edited:
View attachment 39858Every Sycamore I walked past I could hear, decent buzz from. Spotted a few in them. Hopefully will see some green pollen loads. Also saw a couple bees on the apple blooms. Some later ones are only just opening but most apples been flowering over a week.
Mine is in bloom as well we just need warm weather

View attachment 39858Every Sycamore I walked past I could hear a decent buzz from. Spotted a few bees on them. Hopefully I will see some green pollen coming in.
Also I saw a couple bees on the apple blooms. Some later ones are only just opening but most apples been flowering for over a week.
Just started here in the north

Latest posts

Back