What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Field of mustard close by, lots of bees on it on the warmer days, hadn't really though of it as a source of late nectar, some are still hefting light, little bit surprising considering how much they've been fed, and there looked to be a good amount of ivy coming in.

White peppermint flowering too. No nectar in this flower apparently (good pollen). Quite speccy. The metal around the power pole is to stop possums climbing up.
It needs fire once in its lifetime apparently to complete the life cycle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_pulchella

Attachments

• IMG_20231220_121156453.jpg
    IMG_20231220_121156453.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My last day at work this year so I had a mooch about, plenty of winter flowering Jasmine, some penstemons, early snowdrops, viburnum tinus, an oxslip and plenty of petasites.

Attachments

• IMG_0685.jpeg
    IMG_0685.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0686.jpeg
    IMG_0686.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0687.jpeg
    IMG_0687.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0692.jpeg
    IMG_0692.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0694.jpeg
    IMG_0694.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0695.jpeg
    IMG_0695.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Driving through Newton Abbot today I saw yellow Hazel catkins, by the look of them bearing pollen

Yup, we have hazel catkins out here. Probably not bearing pollen any more after the wind we've had for the last twelve hours or so. I've been trying to build a new chicken house and its an absolute nightmare. The materials keep blowing all over the place.

James

Driving through Newton Abbot today I saw yellow Hazel catkins, by the look of them bearing pollen
was up sorting the chapel fire yesterday and I noticed a few feral daffodils that are growing in the shelter of the old death house are on the point of opening

Hoping for an early spring then.
Better get my finger out and start cleaning my kit.

Musk lorikeet feeding on Christmas day. Made no effort to fly away :). What do you think about whether it ate the bee at about the nine second mark?

Attachments

• VID_20231225_130405443 (1).mp4
    32 MB
Looked like he did to me.
I thought it did but when I worked out how to use my cursor to scroll through slowly, you can see the bee escaped....just! Even though these parrots are nectarivorous, I'm pretty sure the honey bee makes up a small portion of their diet.

First yellow crocus open and half a dozen daffodils waiting for the sun, just had another look and one has opened but got broken off so pride of place in vase in kitchen😃

Last edited:
Daffs only just poking through here. Mahonias in full bloom though, attracting bees. Winter honeysuckle about to flower.
I‘ve recently seen large bumble bees buzzing about and STILL seeing some wasps, including a queen trying to get into my house roof space.

Mahonia flowering near my hives. My bees are flying it was about 10 degrees?? There were only 2 bees on the mahonia so not sure what the other bees were foraging?

Winter heliotrope flowering on my Boxing Day walk.

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpeg
    IMG_2603.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Daffodils are poking through!!
some are on the point of opening with us, but as I often see snowdrops opening whilst hunting in Bethlehem on New year's day I'm not getting excited!

Latest posts

Back