What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No QC's and , slabs of broods and lots of drones !!!
A prime candidate for a Demeree and a large foraging force for a good flow waiting.

Drones are not a precursor to swarming , otherwise colonies would swarm every other week. The only precursor is a charged QC.
If they start charging the QCs, then they are already in swarm mode? There were a lot of play cups all round the edges of every frame. This colony was quite swarmy last year so I’m thinking I split them now and I can always reunite and have a spare queen for another colony if needed. But agree a demaree might have been better.

I can't seem to see any evidence they are anywhere near about to swarm, or do you just split every colony as soon as they start building up 'just in case?'
No I don’t, but I’ve never seen so many play cups in one colony - on every frame, all round the edges. And this colony was swarmy last year.

There are times when you know they will be charged next inspection ;)
Completely agree! Demaree would of been the thing to do - although there isn’t much of a flow on, @Moobee I think you’ve been proactive on this occasion and keep us updated 🙂

Completely agree! Demaree would of been the thing to do - although there isn’t much of a flow on, @Moobee I think you’ve been proactive on this occasion and keep us updated 🙂
Possibly, I think it would depend how far down the imminent track they are. From the description, I would not be surprised to find half those cups charged within a few days.
I've had occasions when I've found one or two charged cells and changed their minds by adding extra laying space with another brood box and breaking down the cells but Moobee's colony sound a little more determined.

Lots of bearding on one hive again this morning despite it not being hot weather. Enough space in the hives and no queen cells (2 days ago), open mesh floors. Wonder if they need an extra brood box, despite being 14x12.

Attachments

• IMG_1519.MOV
    15.1 MB
I think I had that in the back of my mind regarding a Demaree. There is forage - mostly hawthorn (they’re filling supers but not super fast) & weather is set to be patchy again for the next week.

play cups are not queen cells
Well, the weather here has been warm today & apart from overnight storms tonight & occasional patchy rain tomorrow & Friday, is set to be the same for the next week so I would not have been surprised to find them charged on next inspection.

Helped inspect 2 new hives a complete novice local farmer had bought last week. Hive 1 single brood 20+ capped q cells, 2 hatches and saw 1 virgin.Found and clipped and marked the Q and put her in a new box of foundation in original site .Destroyed all cells in original box and moved to side. 20 mins later they swarmed,newly clipped Q fell to the grass and bees soon returned,no q cages so just popped her back in the hive and hope she stays put. 2nd hive 10 sealed cells,found the Q and clipped +marked her and destroyed all the cells,will give more space tomorrow but will need splitting too. Good job i was there as the farmer would have been completely lost as to what to do,i was getting pretty confused tbh.
On to my hives and piling in the nectar, cells in 3 out of 11 which were all padgeoned. Busy day!

Went to put a spare frame of stores in one of my hives that is booming but rather light - don’t want any starvation issues to arise before weather improves next week.

Took a sting to the belly button. New one for me. Seemingly much worse than the ones to the hands.

Very much looking forward to the better weather on the horizon and the flow it will hopefully bring. Am I being too optimistic re the flow? OSR starting to go over down here in Dorset.

Went to put a spare frame of stores in one of my hives that is booming but rather light - don’t want any starvation issues to arise before weather improves next week.

Took a sting to the belly button. New one for me. Seemingly much worse than the ones to the hands.

Very much looking forward to the better weather on the horizon and the flow it will hopefully bring. Am I being too optimistic re the flow? OSR starting to go over down here in Dorset.
Very brave - inspecting bees with a bare midriff !

Back