Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
OK, so not strictly beekeeping (well not at all) but they have wings and last year my garden shed was scratched to death by wasps who then built nests in our home (an old barn with a wood outer layer) and in a cupboard on our deck. Any thoughts on what to use to cover/paint on the shed to deter them? Thanks.

Why do you need to deter them? Sit down and watch the marvel.
If you paint the source of nesting material they will simply find somewhere else.
Every year I get wasps trying to build from the roof of my potting shed where u can’t possibly have a nest so I just scrape it off. Have to do it a couple of times before she goes elsewhere.
Strangely I haven’t seen a queen wasp at all this year. I really hope the winter hasn’t done them in.

Husband and allergy to wasp stings. Plus getting into the shed is like batting off a nightmare. And quite frankly I don’t want them eating my shed. So nice question but I have a real reason for asking it.

Then paint the shed with paint that hides the wood.
You’ll have to be vigilant where they start a nest and remove it. I get mine when there are only two cells in it and the queen is away. She starts again but I take that too and spray the area with air freshener.
You could ask on Facebook bees wasps and ants. Lots of wasp experts there.

Why do you need to deter them? Sit down and watch the marvel.
If you paint the source of nesting material they will simply find somewhere else.
Every year I get wasps trying to build from the roof of my potting shed where u can’t possibly have a nest so I just scrape it off. Have to do it a couple of times before she goes elsewhere.
Strangely I haven’t seen a queen wasp at all this year. I really hope the winter hasn’t done them in.
I saw my first one this year on Sunday when I was helping another local keeper, cheeky thing had a quick feed of nectar that had dripped and then cleared off back to the woodland nearby the farm.

I saw my first one this year on Sunday when I was helping another local keeper, cheeky thing had a quick feed of nectar that had dripped and then cleared off back to the woodland nearby the farm.
I’ve seen several under the roofs of my hives, two in one yesterday.

Husband and allergy to wasp stings. Plus getting into the shed is like batting off a nightmare. And quite frankly I don’t want them eating my shed. So nice question but I have a real reason for asking it.
Cuprinol solvent based not aqueous should do the trick.

Failing that, teak oil adulterated with Oil of Olbas. 95 parts to 5 parts. Wasps are repelled by Eucalyptus oil. We formulated a deterrent for wasps but the cost of biocide registration was extortionately expensive so didn't take the product to market. The oil will sink into the wood provided it's soft and not tight grained hardwood and the aroma will fade quite quickly as the oil seeps into the wood only to be released again when the wood is chewed which then repels the wasps doing the chewing.

Just need to take care when applying. Choose a good test spot and trial a patch first to make sure you're happy with colour changes and that you can apply it safely. Light breezy conditions are best. Stifling hot days will see one coughing with streaming eyes if the smell is too strong.

Cuprinol solvent based not aqueous should do the trick.

Failing that, teak oil adulterated with Oil of Olbas. 95 parts to 5 parts. Wasps are repelled by Eucalyptus oil. We formulated a deterrent for wasps but the cost of biocide registration was extortionately expensive so didn't take the product to market. The oil will sink into the wood provided it's soft and not tight grained hardwood and the aroma will fade quite quickly as the oil seeps into the wood only to be released again when the wood is chewed which then repels the wasps doing the chewing.

Just need to take care when applying. Choose a good test spot and trial a patch first to make sure you're happy with colour changes and that you can apply it safely. Light breezy conditions are best. Stifling hot days will see one coughing with streaming eyes if the smell is too strong.
That’s really interesting. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back