Small Hive Beetle coming next?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luminos

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Less than 100. Er, 6, actually...
Received the latest newsletter from the local BKA, and there's comprehensive information on identifying, and dealing with, Small Hive Beetle.
So I assume they think it will arrive in France before long...

Went to Kim Flottum's talk at the convention this year and he did hammer home the point that you have to be on the ball with keeping varroa numbers down Especially as he doesn't agree with using any 'chemicals' being from the other side of the pond he obviously mentioned small hive beetle, but in his opinion we (and our bees) in Britain would take it in our stride as it wasn't a big a deal as everyone was making ou.

Worth pointing out SHB isn't in the EU yet so the controls seem to be working. In the US they seem to be managing it reasonably well.

Went to Kim Flottum's talk at the convention this year and he did hammer home the point that you have to be on the ball with keeping varroa numbers down Especially as he doesn't agree with using any 'chemicals' being from the other side of the pond he obviously mentioned small hive beetle, but in his opinion we (and our bees) in Britain would take it in our stride as it wasn't a big a deal as everyone was making ou.

I hope he's right :)

M

The reason.

It seems they are informing apiculteurs of the appearance/habits of the beetle, and the legal obligation to report any detection. They also reiterate the obligation to register one's apiaries/colonies each year, thus to make a check on colonies in the case of introduction. (Of the beetle).
Interestingly, some of the credits for the article are attributed to FERA.

There's another page devoted to the Asian Hornet, too (which is already here).

Interestingly, some of the credits for the article are attributed to FERA.

SHB is already present in the UK, they are alive and well...behind a few airlocks at the National Bee Unit in Yorkshire.

SHB is already present in the UK, they are alive and well...behind a few airlocks at the National Bee Unit in Yorkshire.

Hopefully they will stay there .... we really don't need any more foreign wildlife here .... American crayfish, American toads, both squeezing out our native species - I have found a green shield beetle on my allotment (No I didn't stamp on it - before you wags join in !) which has come across the channel ... apparently it's harmless but one does wonder. We on the South Coast are in the front line as far as foreign visitors are concerned and we need to be exceptionally vigilant in the next few years.

Last edited:
I have found a green shield beetle on my allotment (No I didn't stamp on it - before you wags join in !) which has come across the channel ... apparently it's harmless but one does wonder.

Green shield bugs are common throughout Europe including the UK, are they the same things.

We on [or near :)] the South Coast are in the front line as far as foreign visitors are concerned and we need to be exceptionally vigilant in the next few years.
:iagree:

Sorry, a bit off topic, but ... once Asian Hornets have reached the Normandy coast it'll only take a strong southerly wind to bring them across The Channel. They might turn up on the Isle of Wight first, if they haven't already hitched a ride on some day-tripper's boat. The crossing might be a lot further than from Dover, but it's still only about 60 miles - migrating butterflies manage it without any problem.

Green shield bugs are common throughout Europe including the UK, are they the same things.

Apparently more than one species ...

"The Green Shield Bug has been spreading northwards as a result of climate change, while the Southern Green Shield Bug has recently appeared on our shores and is likely to become more widespread The Wildlife Trusts work with researchers, scientists and other conservationists to monitor changes in our native wildlife to determine the effects of environmental change, such as the introduction of new species or climate change. You can help: volunteer for your local Trust and you'll be able to monitor populations and survey habitats, adding to a growing bank of data on the effects of climate change."

Source:

http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/species/green-shield-bug

:iagree:

Sorry, a bit off topic, but ... once Asian Hornets have reached the Normandy coast it'll only take a strong southerly wind to bring them across The Channel. They might turn up on the Isle of Wight first, if they haven't already hitched a ride on some day-tripper's boat. The crossing might be a lot further than from Dover, but it's still only about 60 miles - migrating butterflies manage it without any problem.

Totally agree .... exactly the problem - we can smell Barfleur when there's a strong Southerly wind, insects will have an easy ride ! Not to mention the amount of lorries going backwards and forwards across the channel from all parts of Europe. I don't think there is a chance of stopping these invaders - only vigilance in watching for their arrival will help.

Quite a lot of critters have been spreading north, even some types of bumble bees, if they make it here on there own steam, then that is nature.

So when it is discovered, does the person do what they were supposed to if they discovered Colarado beetles: Start blowing a whistle whilst waving their arms about, run up and down the street shouting "Colorado beetles" and try to attract the attention of the nearest bobby......

very informative ,including the introduction into Australia via the ports of Sydney and Brisbane , and the outbreak in Portugal .

What 'outbreak' in Portugal? Do you mean the finding (several years ago) of pre adult stages on queen cages from Texas? (Which should never have been there in the first place!)

SHB is a wonderful 'flag of convenience' for scaremongers and those who like to 'motivate' the inexperienced, and for anti import people.

I have said this many times before, but prime vector of spread of Aethina tumida is on fresh fruit and herbs, imported from South Africa, where the beastie is both native and widespread. Have a guess which country has imported most of THOSE over the last century and a half? The chances our country has not had SHB here before is very very small, plus if it was as invasive as people wind us up to believe, it has a land bridge to Europe, as do african honey bees. Both have had ample opportunity to spread. Circumstance just do not favour it.

Our climate and soil types are not those favoured by SHB. It only does well (from the beetles point of view) in higher temperatures, and in particular higher SOIL temperatures, than we get in this country. It MIGHT, with climate change, be able to exist (not prosper) in the south east of England but nowhere else. At this time even the Mediterranean is marginal.

Overblown scare, but it keeps the imports out from most third countries doesn't it? Also keeps people in a job justifying it by the fight against the exotic pests that are not here yet.

The Asian hornet is coming..........nothing you can do about that one. The north probably have no worries, as it may not go any further than the European Hornet which is absent in the north.

SHB probably no big deal if it does, would need changes in honeyhouse mamagement and comb storage IF it ever became established.

Tropilaelaps: Nasty brute, but does not really seem to be invasive in the way varroa was. Much more info needed before deciding whether to become more relaxed about it.

"The Green Shield Bug has been spreading northwards as a result of climate change, while the Southern Green Shield Bug has recently appeared on our shores and is likely to become more widespread The Wildlife Trusts work with researchers, scientists and other conservationists to monitor changes in our native wildlife to determine the effects of environmental change, such as the introduction of new species or climate change. You can help: volunteer for your local Trust and you'll be able to monitor populations and survey habitats, adding to a growing bank of data on the effects of climate change."

Source:

http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/species/green-shield-bug

Strangely enough these two species form part of a talk I'm presenting tomorrow evening....

....nothing to do with bees.

Re.SHB - nothing received by me from the Departement in Vienne, sounds like magazine padding, never any shortage of that - rather like forums.:biggrinjester:

Chris

Latest posts

Back