Replacement tree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
I've just grubbed up a dying hawthorn tree from the front garden and need a small tree to replace it. Not too high, not too wide a canopy and with roots that'll go down rather than break up the drive.
The situation is north facing, with sun early morning and late afternoon.
I'm thinking malus, but would like any suggestions.

Magnolia
Buddleia
Philadelphus
Ceanothus
Catoneaster

You can’t go wrong with a malus and it helps with the pollination of nearby apple trees

I've just grubbed up a dying hawthorn tree from the front garden and need a small tree to replace it. Not too high, not too wide a canopy and with roots that'll go down rather than break up the drive.
Not sure about it's desire for sun but Robinia (false acacia) might be worth a look.

You can’t go wrong with a malus and it helps with the pollination of nearby apple trees

Berry malus has a huge blooming.
Pyrus is good too.
Pyrus goes directly high to sky. Wild aminals like to eate fruits. Mammals and birds.

20210817_142404.jpg

A winter flowering cherry to cheer up winter days. One of ours is full of blossom at the moment and the bees were all over it on Xmas day!

Crab apple - one of the fancy ones if you like a bit of spring pizazz (Royalty, Profusion, Rudolph)
Crab apple is good ... I have a soft spot for some old fashioned English trees that are not seen too often these days .. very manageable size, relatively slow growing ... What about a Mulberry or if you are into jam making ... a Medlar.

How about a Damson? The pollinators love it, and damson jelly is delicious! Alternatively, how about a weeping pussy willow on dwarf root stock.
Corkscrew Hazel is another that can be kept in check, but provides interest all year round.

I’d second the winter cherry. Prunus subhirtella Autumnalis flowers for a long period over winter, giving convenient forage on any days that may be warm enough for flying. The RHS recommends full sun though - so it depends on how deeply shaded it would be at your site.

Maybe a nice flowering shrub would be best in a small space. One that looks good for most of the year and attracts bees is Viburnum Eve Price. Either in flower or in bud for most of the year.

Maybe a nice flowering shrub would be best in a small space. One that looks good for most of the year and attracts bees is Viburnum Eve Price. Either in flower or in bud for most of the year.
There will be shrubs. But a replacement tree is the priority, and the only aspect my wife will let me get involved with.

Attachments

• 9DFD9908-0F75-4348-9C23-9BD90FCDF603.jpeg
    9DFD9908-0F75-4348-9C23-9BD90FCDF603.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 28
I reckon you plant trees for your children and grandchildren to enjoy ultimately. If you have room a Catalpa will grow pretty much anywhere though its root system can be extensive. It can be kept smaller by regular pruning and there is a dwarf variety “Nana”. As others have said Pyrus especially or Malus have some wonderful offerings; and I would plant medlar, quince and mulberry if I had the space and lived in a more tree friendly area.

Back