Queen as swarm attractant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luminos

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Less than 100. Er, 6, actually...
If I keep my queen to attract a swarm next year, do I just keep her in a ziplock bag in the freezer, or is something stronger needed (e.g., matchbox etc)?

And when/where do I place her once spring arrives?

in a bag in freezer fine - or steeped in alcohol.

put her in a bait hive or squashed on a convenient post in the apiary where you'd like your swarms to settle first.

Essence of queen bee is one of the essential ingredients in Grandad's bait sausage recipe!
Kept in any type of gin.... liquid nitrogin would do nicely!

put her in a bait hive or squashed on a convenient post in the apiary where you'd like your swarms to settle first.

Does anyone know whether the quality of the queen affects how attractive her scent is? I squashed a drone layer on a good low branch in the orchard where our association apiary resides last summer. Just wondering if she is going to be less effective than a properly laying queen. I'd imagine that she would have some effect, but not the full monty.

Does anyone know whether the quality of the queen affects how attractive her scent is? I squashed a drone layer on a good low branch in the orchard where our association apiary resides last summer. Just wondering if she is going to be less effective than a properly laying queen. I'd imagine that she would have some effect, but not the full monty.

following this question does it matter if the queen is mated at all?

I put 6 queens in 100 ml alcohol. It has no influence on swarming. Mere waste of good alcohol.

I have used a French queen atractant spray. It vaporizes and the influence is very small.

I had a Russian queen atractant greese. It was really good. Once a swarm was at heigt of 15 metres. I sprouted greese from mouth onto a bush and the swarm dropped down like a stone.

I reared lemon grass too but it has no meaning.

Don't expect too much. Clip the wing. It is good.

Last edited:
Does HM have any particular preference as to which alcohol?

The Queen's favorite drink is a form of dubonnet cocktail.. one part Gin and three parts dubonnet, served in her personal crystal glass with a pitless slice of lemon under two ice cubes.

Alleged!!

I put 6 queens in 100 ml alcohol. It has no influence on swarming. Mere waste of good alcohol.

I have used a French queen atractant spray. It vaporizes and the influence is very small.

I had a Russian queen atractant greese. It was really good. Once a swarm was at heigt of 15 metres. I sprouted greese from mouth onto a bush and the swarm dropped down like a stone.

I reared lemon grass too but it has no meaning.

Don't expect too much. Clip the wing. It is good.

I'm pretty sure she's not going to fly off, Finman :(

well done luminos. you beat me to it! feel free to borrow my coat while i get the new office coat hook sorted.

in fact i had thought about a sarkie response yesterday but my sympathetic side kicked in (strangely).

well done luminos. you beat me to it! feel free to borrow my coat while i get the new office coat hook sorted.

in fact i had thought about a sarkie response yesterday but my sympathetic side kicked in (strangely).

not worthy ...of your coat DrS - I bow to the master...:D

have you tried putting it in soft water, not hard :rolleyes:

of course I could be just re inventing the wheel again :grin:

Latest posts

Back