Power for vapouriser

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok, after thirty five years I am moving into the 21 st century. Bad varroa drop despite treatment so splashed out on a vapouriser. Question..... I can get electricity to my apiary. Can I use a car battery charger to deliver the power to use the vapouriser? Measured the output at 10volts. Any clever people out there to tell me if it a yes or a no.
Thanks
E

What amperage is your vapouriser? and how many amps does the charger deliver?Worse thing you can do is blow the fuse or if its a cheap charger burn it out.

Dave Cushman states that a Varrox is 150W, which equates to 12-13 amps. Doubt whether a battery charger would cope with that sort of current, but as you say, check on the charger label.
I asked my local garage if they had a decent ish battery going for recycling. They gave me one which is still going strong after two years of use on average 12 hives. Gave them a couple of jars of honey

Last edited:
After increasing the number of my hives beyond the capacity of a jump starter I now have a leisure battery which has so far done 36 vaped each for 3.5 minutes. If you've got power just keep an old car battery there topped up with your charger?

After increasing the number of my hives beyond the capacity of a jump starter I now have a leisure battery which has so far done 36 vaped each for 3.5 minutes. If you've got power just keep an old car battery there topped up with your charger?

+1 I use this beast, not exactly a leisure battery though. I can do around 100 colonies and it is still around 80% charged

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV35MF-P8275.html

Ericalfbee,

What happened to your Li-ion battery?

RAB

I still have it, RAB but it will do just the eight hives...at a pinch.
Some of my 14x12s have a nadired super and I vape under the OMF so I have been using 3g and 3.5 minutes and it just runs out of power.
For a few hives it's brilliant.

I have a shed along side the hives but alas no power, hence the leisure battery that sits inside it and gets pushed along the hives in a wheelbarrow

I use a 40AH Yuasa car battery good for 15+ vapes at a time..
Recharge every three months (1Jan,1April , 1 July, 1Oct)

Bought at 2 years old now 5 years £10 Gumtree.
Built in handle.
Ideal.

Back