piping queen in our hive: what is happening?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecudielle

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
looking for advice on this riddle
we've been late with inspection so the obvious happened and our colonies swarmed (probably all 3). We collected three swarms on April 30th. Two absconded, one is now in a nuc waiting for a new home, has queen, not marked so either not ours or secondary. We checked our hives on May 2nd and saw one unmarked queen in each of two hives. Third hive we couldn't see queen but saw larvae.

My question is about this hive (#3).
We inspected May 9th and found only capped brood. We heard a queen bee piping (attached) but could not spot her. We also saw one capped swarm queen cell.
What is going here? What would you do next and when?

Thank you!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2024-05-09 at 21.32.21.mp4
    4.7 MB
That sounds like a trapped worker bee. I presume you had already moved some frames?

I think that's a piping queen. Bit longer note than usual.

@ecudielle Not an expert here but my thoughts are that this is a new queen making her presence known to the hive. Challenging any other queens to a fight.
10+ days since swarm and QC capped, 4-5+ days since emergence, she's still a virgin? Maybe?
Someone else may have a better idea.

Took me about 5 years to hear this. All the best.

#edit Leave them alone for 10-14days for new queen to get mated and start laying. Weather is perfect for this.

Back