New nucleus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe bee's

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello I received a nuc in the post today. I have put the nuc in position opened the disc and left them to settle in. Outside the nuc and crawling on the floor is about 20 dead or nearly dead bees. The nuc was in transit overnight. Some are flying. I didn't want to feed them yet as I was advised to leave them 24hrs before opening the roof. Is this normal in transit or should I be worried.

Thanks

Hello I received a nuc in the post today. I have put the nuc in position opened the disc and left them to settle in. Outside the nuc and crawling on the floor is about 20 dead or nearly dead bees. The nuc was in transit overnight. Some are flying. I didn't want to feed them yet as I was advised to leave them 24hrs before opening the roof. Is this normal in transit or should I be worried.

Thanks
I'd say that's nothing to worry about

stop worrying and feed them tomorrow
Worry comes with the territory, but try to relax. No need to feed unless the box is light; it should have travelled with a blend of 3-4 frames of brood in all stages, and 2-3 of pollen & honey.

Will you upgrade to a full box soon? If nothing is coming in they won't draw comb on foundation, so you may have to feed a little, perhaps a litre or so.

Watch the weather and watch what is in flower for a couple of miles around; bees are expert foragers and will be at work asap, so don't let the nuc combs fill with nectar and deprive queenie of laying space. If you do, they'll swarm.

I was advised to leave them 24hrs before opening the roof. Is this normal
I don't see the need not to open the roof for 24 hours as normal. You could open them straight away, no worries, although after a long trip by post it's wise to leave them to settle in for an hour or two before doing anything too intensive. I know the journey is only half an hour or so but I transfer nucs to hives as soon as they get to the apiary.

I don't see the need not to open the roof for 24 hours as normal. You could open them straight away, no worries, although after a long trip by post it's wise to leave them to settle in for an hour or two before doing anything too intensive. I know the journey is only half an hour or so but I transfer nucs to hives as soon as they get to the apiary.
Thank you very much the seem much
Worry comes with the territory, but try to relax. No need to feed unless the box is light; it should have travelled with a blend of 3-4 frames of brood in all stages, and 2-3 of pollen & honey.

Will you upgrade to a full box soon? If nothing is coming in they won't draw comb on foundation, so you may have to feed a little, perhaps a litre or so.

Watch the weather and watch what is in flower for a couple of miles around; bees are expert foragers and will be at work asap, so don't let the nuc combs fill with nectar and deprive queenie of laying space. If you do, they'll swarm.

Yes I will transfer them to the hive on the next day the weather is not bad. They are bringing in pollen like mad today. They look a lot better now. Case of beginner panic. Thank you for the answers. I hadn't considered that feeding them could fill up laying space. I will be careful thanks again.

I'm guessing you are going to say there is not any in flower now.
No, I reckon you might have oil seed rape near you. If so, bees will work it and may bring in nectar if temps. rise (needs warmth to produce) in which case, no need to feed.

Point is that there is a direct correlation between weather, growth, flowering and honey bee income. To feed when nectar is coming in is unecessary and will taint future honey yield, so read the weather & the plants and watch how bees respond.

Back