New member - floundering a bit...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twin4Me

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I started Bee keeping 3 years ago, did practical and Theory lessons with East Surrey Bees.

I had an opportunity to buy a late season Nuc, but the next year the Queen stopped laying (Queen present but worker laying brood). I removed her and bought a new Queen but the new Queen didn't take.
I'd also bought a new Nuc from East Surrey Bees which did well for the first year, but lost them in the Winter.

I replaced them and also a swarm that a fellow bee keeper donated.
Now have one productive hive and a hive of sulking bees that never do much (the ones I was given by a friend).

I love it but I just feel like I'm fumbling around most of the time!

Don't worry, stick at it, and in a few years time - like most of us, you will still be fumbling around, but with a bit more panache! :biggrinjester:

I started Bee keeping 3 years ago, did practical and Theory lessons with East Surrey Bees.

I had an opportunity to buy a late season Nuc, but the next year the Queen stopped laying (Queen present but worker laying brood). I removed her and bought a new Queen but the new Queen didn't take.
I'd also bought a new Nuc from East Surrey Bees which did well for the first year, but lost them in the Winter.

I replaced them and also a swarm that a fellow bee keeper donated.
Now have one productive hive and a hive of sulking bees that never do much (the ones I was given by a friend).

The fumbling goes on and on….
Give your sulkers time, mine are sulking in this atrocious weather.
Things will change when (if) warm weather arrives.
Welcome to the forum and this aggravating craft👍

Welcome to the forum. Your local beekeeping club is just starting their Wednesday meetings at the teaching apiary. If not a member its worth it to get some reassurance from other fumblers :)

Hi there, I was a member of Reigate Bee Keepers initially but didn't really take advantage of the apiary evenings as I was never able to make it to them.

I'm not far away from Reigate, so if you want to chat DM me. I think you need 5 posts to start a conversation? Hover over username on LHS, and then click start conversation.

Don't worry, stick at it, and in a few years time - like most of us, you will still be fumbling around, but with a bit more panache! :biggrinjester:
With a bit more panache but a little (not a lot) less panic ... the bees are usually at least one step ahead of me !

:welcome: the more I know about bees the more I seem to stumble and fumble. As has been suggested they are always a step ahead, so I mostly follow their lead. I guess the clever bit is learning to read where they are taking me. :unsure:

Seems like you could do with a mentor bee buddy to help you for a while and to learn from.

RBKA have quite a large group so there should be some one local who can help or assist is you ask them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back