NDB versus Master Beekeeper?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think NDB carries more Kudos in their eyes as it's seen as an exclusive club with only a few allowed in each year
In my (and many other's) opinion neither necessarily is an indicator of superiority over your average beekeeper.
Bit like boy scouts having to carry a blankie as there's no room left on their sleeves for badges.

I have known NDB people who seemingly couldn't beekeep a paper bag but the idea behind the NDB (the qualification for County/regional Advisors) was just that. Now this master beekeeper has appeared I am curious as to which is the higher level.

Sustificates just mean they can read and write down the correct answer that the examiner want to see, practically and common sense wise often means very little.

Apparently the NDB is the higher level but who regulates this 'National' diploma? I think it's just another BBKA invention and means very little in the real world

The titles are there to confuse new beekeepers into thinking that the holders actually know what they are talking about as illustrated in the latest Bee Craft

Not being a Bee Craft reader might you explain please?

Apparently the NDB is the higher level but who regulates this 'National' diploma? I think it's just another BBKA invention and means very little in the real world
I was unaware that the NDB had its origins in the BBKA. I'm not sure that's true. The NDB beekeepers I know are incredibly knowledgeable and are excellent communicators. Master beekeepers, being less thin on the ground, are a more mixed bunch.

The titles are there to confuse new beekeepers into thinking that the holders actually know what they are talking about as illustrated in the latest Bee Craft
I might have missed these but the latest issue of BeeCraft appears to have just one article from a Master Beekeeper and none from any NDB holders. As I said above, I would welcome more articles from NDB holders - not that I think BeeCraft is short of good articles. I thought the award they received at Apimondia for the best beekeeping magazine was well deserved.

I might have missed these but the latest issue of BeeCraft appears to have just one article from a Master Beekeeper and none from any NDB holders. As I said above, I would welcome more articles from NDB holders - not that I think BeeCraft is short of good articles. I thought the award they received at Apimondia for the best beekeeping magazine was well deserved.
I was unaware that the NDB had its origins in the BBKA. I'm not sure that's true. The NDB beekeepers I know are incredibly knowledgeable and are excellent communicators. Master beekeepers, being less thin on the ground, are a more mixed bunch.

Where does the BFA apprenticeship sit in this debate??.

I have one just about to finish the three years & another ready to start.

The beekeeper in question is running a series of articles for beginners in Bee craft. In a talk he gave last year, which I attended, he was introduced as a master beekeeper and when describing winter preparations was advocating match stick ventilation as an option. Hence my comment in #8. As has been discussed before by various contributors, qualifications the BBKA offer are a very much fixed syllabus offering to be learnt and regurgitated. Doesn't encourage any questioning on why carried out, and therefore prevents improvement IMO.

As has been discussed before by various contributors, qualifications the BBKA offer are a very much fixed syllabus offering to be learnt and regurgitated. Doesn't encourage any questioning on why carried out, and therefore prevents improvement IMO.
Agreed, but I don't think any of this applies to the NDB or those who hold it.

Agreed, but I don't think any of this applies to the NDB or those who hold it.
Regardless of its objectives when it was formed in 1955, it's very much a closed shop controlled by the same people who hold the BBKA 'Master' beekeeper badge and they just see it as a progression of 'Master' beekeeper, in fact you cannot take it until you have the BBKA 'master' beekeeper badge and I have never found much difference betwixt one and the other

Last edited:
As British beekeeping has no major worthwhile innovations to its name # which have been adopted worldwide ,the term "Master Beekeeper" does not mean anything as far as innovation is concerned as far as I can see. That may of course be because that British Beekeeping as taught is perfect and impossible to improve.

# the WBC is not an innovation.

Actually a NDB holder not so long ago was widely derided for advocating matchstick ventilation.

Actually a NDB holder not so long ago was widely derided for advocating matchstick ventilation.
Very relevant to WW1 beekeeping.

Back