Moving hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
If you've read my other posts this morning, you'll know why :D

When I've had to move hives previously I've always had time and could wait until there were no supers, perhaps even get the colony down into one box, so it wasn't really that troublesome. Now I need to do it, sharpish, when they're expanding, on double brood and have supers.

"Handy hints" for how I might go about this gratefully accepted.

James

I can't see your other post from this morning anywhere.
If you have plenty of screen mesh couldn't you just split the hive up eg brood boxes/supers put mesh either side and move them separately, reassembling at the destination?

If you've read my other posts this morning, you'll know why :D

When I've had to move hives previously I've always had time and could wait until there were no supers, perhaps even get the colony down into one box, so it wasn't really that troublesome. Now I need to do it, sharpish, when they're expanding, on double brood and have supers.

"Handy hints" for how I might go about this gratefully accepted.

James
Very carefully - it's your back you need to worry about. Have you got a hive barrow ? Ideally you want some means of transporting them that allows you to get them off the hive stands, onto some means of moving them without having to lift too much. Making a hive barrow like JBM's with the platform at near the height of your stands would be a good investment of the limited time you have available. A couple of helpers would be an asset if you can press anyone into service.

I'd get clearer boards on the supers ASAP and move them separately but double brood and a floor weigh a fair amount on their own.

I moved double brood hives + supers a few years ago at this time of year. I was blessed with a cold wet day with no bee flight and no concerns about overheating. I accepted that I'd lose a few bees but the need for a move outweighed this.
I separated supers from the brood boxes, didn't bother with clearing them. Transported them 10 minutes in the car to a nearby apiary and reunited the hives. Hard work but with a bit of planning in terms of hive stands, straps etc it's possible. IIRC the last colony I moved was a polynuc which was deliberately left to last to pick up any that had escaped when I was sealing entrances, separating boxes and strapping down crownboards.
Good luck!

Very carefully - it's your back you need to worry about. Have you got a hive barrow ? Ideally you want some means of transporting them that allows you to get them off the hive stands, onto some means of moving them without having to lift too much. Making a hive barrow like JBM's with the platform at near the height of your stands would be a good investment of the limited time you have available. A couple of helpers would be an asset if you can press anyone into service.

I'd get clearer boards on the supers ASAP and move them separately but double brood and a floor weigh a fair amount on their own.

I have a hive barrow, so that's a start. And having moved the wrong box to the other end of my home apiary when I had a lapse of concentration last week (therefore having to move it back and then move the right one), I'm rather more familiar with the weight of an entire double brood colony than I'd like to be :D

James

DEEP travel screen and a second, good, pair of hands. Yes, this is a serious answer.

DEEP travel screen and a second, good, pair of hands. Yes, this is a serious answer.
On the subject of hands - how are yours? I think you mentioned having had surgery?

I'm in touch with the engineer at Wessex Water now and he seems quite chilled about the situation and is happy that if they can't start on Monday then that's how it is, which is nice.

The idea of moving them a bit every evening was mooted so that they're far away not to cause a problem, so I went down just to see what might be possible given where the leaking water has been running and so on. I was standing near one of the hives (not wearing a bee suit) and after a couple of minutes a single bee flew out and was determined that I shouldn't be there. It followed me as I walked away, eventually stinging me on the left cheekbone. I assume they're a bit tetchy because the weather has turned very dull and grey today, but I think that pretty much certainly means they can't stay on the site.

Part of the problem seems to be that the depth of the pipework and the fact that the ground is now quite wet and soft means that they have to dig a fair size hole so people can work in it safely and that might well encroach into the space where the bees are.

James

I'm in touch with the engineer at Wessex Water now and he seems quite chilled about the situation and is happy that if they can't start on Monday then that's how it is, which is nice.

The idea of moving them a bit every evening was mooted so that they're far away not to cause a problem, so I went down just to see what might be possible given where the leaking water has been running and so on. I was standing near one of the hives (not wearing a bee suit) and after a couple of minutes a single bee flew out and was determined that I shouldn't be there. It followed me as I walked away, eventually stinging me on the left cheekbone. I assume they're a bit tetchy because the weather has turned very dull and grey today, but I think that pretty much certainly means they can't stay on the site.

Part of the problem seems to be that the depth of the pipework and the fact that the ground is now quite wet and soft means that they have to dig a fair size hole so people can work in it safely and that might well encroach into the space where the bees are.

James
how long are they going to be? any chance of just shutting them in the evening before and opening up again at the end of the day? if that was the case I'd be happy just to move the nearest hives to one side and live with the odd 'lost' bee, which would find a home somewhere

how long are they going to be? any chance of just shutting them in the evening before and opening up again at the end of the day? if that was the case I'd be happy just to move the nearest hives to one side and live with the odd 'lost' bee, which would find a home somewhere

He couldn't really commit. He said that until they've actually dug around the pipe and had a chance to examine it, they don't really know how much work they'll need to do.

James

I've not had surgery. @rolande ?

James is
Yes, it's me; three smashed metacarpals and five severed tendons, but (@The Poot ) healing extremely well, I've even had hives open one handed over the last couple of days. Not easy but someone's got to do it .

Grafting may be an issue but the Miller method should be a doddle.

James
Back in the early 90's, some sewer pipework had to be done nearish to where we had bees. It might have been the fumes and/or noise, but the upshot was one bloke in the excavator with the door shut and the other one banging furiously in vain on the door to get let in ....with some very ripe language thrown in. Follow Rolande's advice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back