Machine learning and the future

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W0otz

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've been playing with the new GPT3 chatbot and it's scary how good Machine Learning/AI is getting.
It can be useful:
usefulgpt.jpg

But it's also very easy to generate plausible-sounding articles that are totally fictional. The Internet has always had an element of "reader beware" but it's about to get a whole lot worse...
gptgrassclippings.jpggptnoinsulation.jpg

The future is certainly going to be interesting!

How about "how to run a country efficiently" ?

I've been playing with this too, and it's surprisingly clever. It's trained on a variety of data to give it a lot of knowledge, but it has some inherent biases due to being trained by humans.

Here's what I got it to do:
Write a comedy sketch about a beekeeper.

"The Great Bee Heist"

(A beekeeper, dressed in full protective gear, is standing in a field surrounded by beehives)

Beekeeper: (to the audience) Hi there, I'm Bob the Beekeeper. I've been tending to these bees for years now, and let me tell you, they can be quite the handful.

(A group of burglars, dressed in all black and wearing ski masks, sneak up behind Bob)

Burglar #1: (whispering) Alright, let's do this. Remember, we're here for the honey.

Burglar #2: (whispering) And the beeswax candles. Don't forget the beeswax candles.

(The burglars start to sneak towards the beehives)

Beekeeper: (turning around and noticing the burglars) Hey! What do you think you're doing?

Burglar #1: (nervously) Uh, nothing. Just out for a stroll.

Beekeeper: (skeptical) A stroll in all black clothing and ski masks? I don't think so.

Burglar #2: (trying to distract the beekeeper) Hey, look over there!

(The burglars point off in the distance as the beekeeper looks in that direction. As soon as the beekeeper looks away, the burglars start to make a break for it with the honey and beeswax candles)

Beekeeper: (turning back around and noticing the burglars running away) Hey! Come back here with my bees' hard-earned honey!

(The beekeeper chases after the burglars, who are struggling to carry the honey and beeswax candles as they run)

Burglar #1: (panting) This was a bad idea. Why did we think we could steal honey from a beekeeper?

Burglar #2: (panting) I don't know. I just really wanted some beeswax candles.

(As the burglars continue to run, they start to get swarmed by bees. They drop the honey and beeswax candles as they try to swat the bees away)

Beekeeper: (catching up to the burglars and laughing) You should have known better than to mess with a beekeeper's bees. (to the bees) It's okay, boys. These guys won't be stealing any more of your honey.

(The burglars, covered in bees, run offstage as the beekeeper picks up the honey and beeswax candles)

Beekeeper: (to the audience) And that's the story of the great bee heist. Lesson learned: never mess with a beekeeper's bees.
Now it clearly doesn't do comedy very well, but that's literally written by an AI in about 30 seconds.

Then I asked it to change the theme.
Change the theme from burglars to the beekeeper's wife.

"The Great Honey Heist"

(A beekeeper, dressed in full protective gear, is standing in a field surrounded by beehives)

Beekeeper: (to the audience) Hi there, I'm Bob the Beekeeper. My wife, Linda, has always been a big fan of honey, so I make sure to bring her a jar every time I come out to check on the bees.

(Bob's wife, Linda, dressed in casual clothing, sneaks up behind him)

Linda: (whispering) Bob, I need you to distract the bees while I grab a jar of honey. My co-worker is having a rough day and I want to bring her some as a pick-me-up.

Bob: (sighing) Linda, you know I can't do that. The bees are my responsibility and I can't just let you take their honey without their permission.

Linda: (pleading) Please, Bob. It's just one jar. I promise I'll make it up to the bees.

Bob: (hesitant) Fine. But you have to promise to leave the bees alone from now on.

Linda: (excited) Thank you, thank you! You're the best.

(Bob turns and starts talking to the bees as Linda sneaks over to the beehives and starts to grab a jar of honey)

Bob: (to the bees) So, how has everyone been? You guys have been producing a lot of honey lately. I'm sure you're all feeling very productive.

(Linda, jar in hand, starts to tiptoe away from the beehives)

Bee: (flying up to Bob's ear) Bob, your wife is trying to steal our honey!

Bob: (surprised) What? Linda, no!

(Bob turns around and sees Linda running away with the jar of honey)

Bob: (chasing after Linda) Linda, bring that honey back! You can't just take it like that!

Linda: (running and panting) Sorry, Bob! I just really wanted to make my co-worker feel better.

(Bob catches up to Linda and takes the jar of honey from her)

Bob: (exasperated) Linda, you can't just take the bees' hard-earned honey without their permission. You have to respect their hard work.

Linda: (apologetic) You're right, Bob. I'm sorry. I'll make it up to the bees.

(Bob and Linda walk offstage, with Bob holding the jar of honey)

Bee: (to the audience) And that's the story of the great honey heist. Linda learned her lesson and we were able to keep our honey safe thanks to Bob's quick thinking. The end.
It's honestly quite scary. We're all gonna be obsolete! :ROFLMAO:

I wonder if AI can do local dialects? If not it might be a way of convincing others you are not a bot. I'm not, I think but how can I tell?
Whey man, being a geordie beekeeper is canny mint like an am gonna have a reet load of honey if am lucky ye naa.

Pick the bones out of that AI
K ;)

I wonder if AI can do local dialects? If not it might be a way of convincing others you are not a bot. I'm not, I think but how can I tell?
Whey man, being a geordie beekeeper is canny mint like an am gonna have a reet load of honey if am lucky ye naa.

Pick the bones out of that AI
K ;)
Where I be from, if yu gunna oner ask the Ming man first, thays gunna point yu in the right direction from year or ere or hear.

Last edited:
Oi gants a ricky-toodle Dan the clackers an it gets very mushdy Dan the nurdle heep... or so I hear
K ;)
Brilliant can you translate?
Oh the Ming man - is a policemen ( ludlovian)

Nah sorry, just something I was told when I asked directions in zummerzet... ooh arrr
K ;)

When I was in my teens my family lived in a village not far from where I live now. One summer I bumped into a neighbour who lived on a local farm. I'd never met him before that I recall, but he started talking to me in a Somerset accent so broad that I genuinely had no idea what he was saying. After the third time of asking him to repeat himself it started to get quite embarrassing.

James

Awful thing to say especially to a moderator so I’ve deleted it.
I know what it means and I want a video of you eating that hat
😂 apologies Philip, what language is it it’s old, I don’t think it gets used much these days, origins are from the 1800s.
Sorry Dani I wasn’t being serious, I don’t want to eat my special hat.

Quite a few variations as to how you write the words to

When I first came South to Portsmouth my South Yorkshire accent was so strong and the words I used so alien that people used to just stand and gawp at me like I was foreign... now 50 odd years on I've got what my few Yorkshire friends left decribe as a pseudo-southern accent. My natural dialect returns, to some extent, when I cross the border into Gods Own Country or if someone really pisses me off ... and having spent a bit of time working in Glasgow, if it really gets serious, my 'See you Jimmy, you'll get yer heed and yer tae play wi' usually frightens the natives ...

Back