Is beekeeping getting harder?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please tell us more @Antipodes. SWMBO and I have had two lovely holidays in Tas. I wouldn't like to think that you've been either blown or washed away.
It's the constant flood, fire and drought cycle really I guess. At the moment for us it's the latter. Poor photo, but those forests on the north facing hills are of course evergreen.... but not now. A friend thought it was the aftermath of a fire, but it's dying through lack of rain. I've never seen it before, and nor have people much older than me. Through the binoculars...

Attachments

• IMG_20240413_120340228.jpg
    IMG_20240413_120340228.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240413_120453387_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20240413_120453387_HDR (1).jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
How the climate change has changed British weather in 10 years?
Well in my area - I live on the edge of a valley with a river flowing through. A landowner next to the river tells me that 25 years ago, certain fields would flood for 2 months a year. Now it's consistently 4-5 months.

I've been a hobby beekeeper for over 20 years. My observation s that it is no harder now than 5 years ago,, but it certainly is much more challenging than 20 years ago.
As a hobby beekeeper for just over a decade I've found that greater knowledge has been accompanied by greater challenges. Ignorance and very forgiving bees made room for me to make some real blunders and get away with them. Now, I feel more responsibility. Thankfully, satisfaction and enthusiasm are great motivators!

Well in my area - I live on the edge of a valley with a river flowing through. A landowner next to the river tells me that 25 years ago, certain fields would flood for 2 months a year. Now it's consistently 4-5 months.

Well. South Finland has been very dry 3 summers.

At same 400 kilometres to North rains have been huge.

On average everything has bee normal.

Well. South Finland has been very dry 3 summers.

At same 400 kilometres to North rains have been huge.

On average everything has bee normal.
I think I have to respect that because you have 70? years' experience, which is a proper long term perspective.

I think I have to respect that because you have 70? years' experience, which is a proper long term perspective.
Very humble response. (y)

I remember the first year I kept sheep there was a terrifically hot summer with a very long dry spell. The fields where my sheep were were clay and went rock hard with cracks a couple of feet deep. I was feeding hay in the summer and wondering how it could ever get back to being able to sustain grass. I remarked about it to an old farmer I know in Yorkshire when we were up visiting my grandpa. It had also been very dry up there. His sage response, which I've since found is usually accurate, was 'He always evens it out, the Man up there'.

It took a year or two but it did even out. This is partly why I am cautious about using a handful of years for observing trends as opposed to decades or even longer.

I can't say I've found it harder than when I started 15 Years ago. But I do think that each year I've learned more and refined the methods I use so that I can run more hives which may make me better at compensating for the challenges of poor seasons etc.

During lockdown down I expanded and actually started keeping track of income etc and this January was the first time there was a positive balance in the account. Mostly because my yields per hive increased slightly, I've established a few more regular customers and I've not had to buy so much kit recently as I've not increased colony numbers by so much recently.

more days over 30C in the summer, longer warmer autumns, very little in the way of cold weather in the winter, variable springs in duration, rain and temperature.

Very general observations, and from the south of the UK, but I'm certain all have an impact on forage and bee behavior
And more ‘once in a lifetime’ winter storms!

That large red patch in SW Tasmania is the one to watch. That's the huge carbon storage area. UNESCO ranks the Tasmania Wilderness World Heritage Area number one of all UNESCO sites globally for taking carbon out of the atmosphere and storing it.
It must be very close to the tipping point now, if not potentially past it. This year was bad with El Nino.
https://www.climatecouncil.org.au/resources/el-nino-has-ended-what-now/

My impression is that due to climate change, novel pests etc there is less profit in beekeeping now than, say, 10 years ago. What are your views on this?

Obviously you get more skilled as time goes on, which compensates, but do you have to work significantly harder now compared to, say, 5 years after you started, for the same level of innflation-adjusted income?
The honey yield depends on pastures, how easily bees get they honey load from flowers. Second, the more beehives the less honey from pastures.

I may leave my hive into the cottage yard, and I get 30 kg honey.

Then I may move the hive 20 km away go the special place and I get 120 kg kg honey. But those 120 kg places are difficult to fild.

During last 3 years summers have been hot, and rape has not given much honey. But we have got strong honey dew yields. As I have said, 400 km to North beekeepers have got huge rains. Rains wash honey dews fron trees.

Vegetation and blooming change all the time.

It's tough, lurching from fire to flood and drought. The frequency and severity are increasing all the time. Then try to get insurance for bees these days here! Apparently many younger people are just abandoning insurance and if things go belly up, do the "go fund me" thing. Look at the support of fellow beekeepers too ...towards the end of the article. Brilliant.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11...er-losing-hives-for-the-second-time/103042542

During last 3 years summers have been hot, and rape has not given much honey. But we h
And what is tge reason to dry and wet wethers...

Above Russia we have often hontinental high pressure. Wethwrs are sunny and clear. Air is hot.

Then we have Atlantic low pressures an moist air. The hot East European high pressures collide with cool atlantic low pressures and it generates rain falls into the edge. Sometimes the edge in in the middle on Finland, sometimes onnthe east side of Finland and sometimes above Sweden.

These are usual weather fluctuations.
But in Finland we do not have strong rainfalls or huge winds like on the area of El Nino zone.

We have a lake in Lapland, the northest peak of Finland. Lake has 6000 year old tree trunks in water. A retired professor has calculated with his teams the the annual growth of the trees. And they have the temperatute fluctuation of the Norther Europe along 6000 years.

I think trying to make a living with honey bees is most certainly getting more difficult.
When I started 50 years ago, the worst thing that could happen was AFB. Very little
of that ever. No real issue burning a few hives. Now, I never see the disease. Of course Acarine and Varroa changed everything.
I deal with that. Lose a little bit, gain a little bit. But in recent years, the annual losses are getting scary. 2014-2015 2% loss. 2015-2016 6% loss.
2016-2017 40% loss. 2022-2023 60% loss. My oldest apiaries that used to be the best for production are no longer so.
Maize everywhere. Pesticide level in trapped pollen is deadly. Trapped pollen in 2023 had 10.75 ppb of clothianadin maize neonic. 1 % is high enough to see measurable damage. This pollen was trapped in May when maize is just up 6". No maize pollen. It's coming from the surrounding fields that have been poisoned by maize planter dust, and migration through the soil into wildflowers in adjoining fields and meadows. The Dandelion pollen had 4.5 ppb...at 5 ppb the researchers say we lose half of our queens.
350 ppb of Metolachlor...a pre-emergent herbicide for grasses. Seriously?? And why is it that I can hardly keep my bees alive?
If you believe the propaganda that honey bees and beekeeping haven't suffered severe setbacks in the last 10 years, I have a bridge in Brooklyn
for sale. Sorry for the rant but my bees are dwindling before my very eyes, and I see their life force slipping away.

It's tough, lurching from fire to flood and drought. The frequency and severity are increasing all the time. Then try to get insurance for bees these days here! Apparently many younger people are just abandoning insurance and if things go belly up, do the "go fund me" thing. Look at the support of fellow beekeepers too ...towards the end of the article. Brilliant.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11...er-losing-hives-for-the-second-time/103042542
Great article

Latest posts

Back