Increasing. With mated queen question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanterrier

House Bee From SW Northumberland
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I will soon want to make a split to increase to a second colony using the nuc method, and buying a mated queen.
Everything I seem to read takes the Q out of the original colony for the nuc and introduces the bought Q to the original colony. Could I just leave the original Q where she is and introduce the bought Q to the nuc?
Seems logical... what am I missing?
K 🤔

You can introduce a mated Queen into either (full colony or nuc). Keeping in mind the usual precautions of introduction.

I believe most people advise adding the new queen to the full hive as they believe the hive is less likely to swarm under a new queen than an old one. Seeing as the nuc will need to be expanded as the year goes on anyway this would mean less work in terms of management.
Though there is no reason you can't add the new queen to a nuc and manage the old hive as usual.

Thanks, that sounds encouraging.

The "old" Q was a bought mated Q from BMH last July after the original VQ that arrived with the swarm was ejected Soon after starting to lay. Introduction was ok ( but fraught due to wasp attack at that time). So she's not that old and I would hope not that likely to swarm this year, fingers crossed.
K ;)

I've split honey bee colonies many thousands of times. I have always left the parent queen in her hive, and removed enough brood and bees to create a strong nuc and discourage them from beginning swarm preps. I think some do remove the old queen to the nuc, but that's once the bees have already begun the swarming process.

I will soon want to make a split to increase to a second colony using the nuc method, and buying a mated queen.
Everything I seem to read takes the Q out of the original colony for the nuc and introduces the bought Q to the original colony.
wherever you saw that - it's not the norm I can assure you.
If you are keeping the old queen and colony but just want to split/make another colony, just wait for the new queen to arrive, make up a nuc with a frame or two of brood (as near emerging as possible is ideal) drawn comb for the new (Introduced) queen to lay, in some stores and a good few frames of nurse bees shaken in. and introduce the queen in her cage (with attendants) but with the candy protected (tab unbroken) so the bees can't eat the plug. wait overnight then open up have a quick scan to see if they have made any emergency QC's (they don't usually, but if they have, tear them down) remove the tab, close back up and leave them to it. after a few days, open up to ckeck whether the queen is out, then leave in peace for a week or so.
Bees accept a new queen better if there is a flow on. If there is no flow you van also put a feeder with a few pints of light syrup on.

wherever you saw that - it's not the norm I can assure you.
If you are keeping the old queen and colony but just want to split/make another colony, just wait for the new queen to arrive, make up a nuc with a frame or two of brood (as near emerging as possible is ideal) drawn comb for the new (Introduced) queen to lay, in some stores and a good few frames of nurse bees shaken in. and introduce the queen in her cage (with attendants) but with the candy protected (tab unbroken) so the bees can't eat the plug. wait overnight then open up have a quick scan to see if they have made any emergency QC's (they don't usually, but if they have, tear them down) remove the tab, close back up and leave them to it. after a few days, open up to ckeck whether the queen is out, then leave in peace for a week or so.
Bees accept a new queen better if there is a flow on. If there is no flow you van also put a feeder with a few pints of light syrup on.
That's brilliant and exactly what I was hoping to do thanks. Ill use this as my script ;)
there's lots of brood in my colony but not much in the way of stores so I was going to leave it for another two or three weeks before I made the split.
Thanks again
K ;)

That's brilliant and exactly what I was hoping to do thanks. Ill use this as my script ;)
there's lots of brood in my colony but not much in the way of stores so I was going to leave it for another two or three weeks before I made the split.
Thanks again
K ;)
remember, don't do the split until the new queen is in your pocket, ready to be introduced.

Latest posts

Back