How big a box for bumbles?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I've noticed quite a few queen bumbles exploring my garden recently, presumably looking for nest sites.
How big a cavity do they need?
I've just enlarged the entrance to an old poly queen mating cage I won't be using, removed the frames & put a little bit of straw in the bottom.
Will that be big enough?

Bird box as said is often more then ample in size or simply an old card board box quashed flat a little will suffice if it has a bit of cover from total damp from above.
I've noticed quite a few queen bumbles exploring my garden recently, presumably looking for nest sites.
How big a cavity do they need?
I've just enlarged the entrance to an old poly queen mating cage I won't be using, removed the frames & put a little bit of straw in the bottom.
Will that be big enough?
Yep equally should be ok , stick in a hedge or garden boarder out of the way and should used.

I doubt it very much, disturb a nest and they will soon see you off.
I recall during a hive thermodynamics talk by Derek M at York BKA he passed the cryptic comment "Bumblebees can be grumpy buggers". He didn't expand but the message stuck.
There's a small, old hole in the concrete floor by the South West doorway to our stables. Evidently there must be an interesting cavity beneath and it seems to be occupied by bumbles a few times over the years. They never bother horses or humans so we leave them alone.

Latest posts

Back