How bad is it

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Show me the honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Mate treated his bees in the autumn but said he had a high mite load so asked to borrow my vape gear. He never done it before so said I’ll show him, yesterday was sunny and cold got there and he’d left an eke on with 2 span supers on top so thought I’ll just pop them off quick! Got stung right on my ankle bone been stung many times over the past 5 years but this one has got me good. My ankle, foot and over the past 24 hours has travel up my leg calf is also swollen with tingling up to the knee I’ve now got bruising around the ankle

Is this just because it was in a tender (not fatty) area or should I maybe have a chat with my gp? I’m thinking just leave it and it will sort itself out but got the wife and other moaning at me!

Attachments

• 3C78430F-F487-4116-8481-3E3D137AB813.jpeg
    3C78430F-F487-4116-8481-3E3D137AB813.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
  • 110CF30E-A197-4F76-AA0F-2D25EBDA6A15.jpeg
    110CF30E-A197-4F76-AA0F-2D25EBDA6A15.jpeg
    618 KB · Views: 121
  • D83788B9-EBDC-4E11-84AA-A13F2E1431C3.jpeg
    D83788B9-EBDC-4E11-84AA-A13F2E1431C3.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 116
I always find the late winter bees have the worst sting of the lot. Anti - histamines are a good idea.

Ye see that’s what I’m saying! Need it to drop down some more struggling to get my work boots on meant to quote millet

Last edited:
Resistance falls over winter without any stings ..

It always amazes me, sometimes bad reactions and sometimes nothing!!!!
E

Yes I have personally I think I’m Fine but getting an ear full from the family so said I’ll ask the experts!

Seen similar before
Next sting could be fatal ( Hopefully not!)
Antihistamines even steroids can reduce swelling.

You could ring the experts at the Eden Unit Derriford Plymouth for better advice..... or ask you GP for a referral?

Chons da

Sometimes I get bad swelling on hands and sometimes its fine

I had a sting on my ankle last year (not whilst beekeeping, just sitting on the grass!).
I react a lot and my whole foot was swollen, red and bruised. Unfortunately it took a week to go down and antihistamines just don't seem to work for me.
If it's not spreading more than 4-5" from the sting site and I'm not feeling any other symptoms (like difficulty breathing, dizziness or just feeling rough) then for me it's a 'normal' sting reaction that will eventually (!) go down.

Ye it’s not falling off so I’m happy,, just wanted a few on here to tell me I had a good one thanks all

Been stung in the ear hole/between my eyes/ back /legs/arms and any where you can think of apart from the privates..with very little reaction but dear lord the ear hole one hurt..the one last year on the back of my hand was on a vein and that is why i think it reacted so bad. that little darling may have fired venom into a vein on your ankle which resulted in the bad reaction..not to worry though you are still breathing and thankfully the swelling is going down..

Seen similar before
Next sting could be fatal ( Hopefully not!)
Antihistamines even steroids can reduce swelling.

You could ring the experts at the Eden Unit Derriford Plymouth for better advice..... or ask you GP for a referral?

Chons da

You want stinging on the finger you type with...:rolleyes:

You want stinging on the finger you type with...:rolleyes:

Why?
The advice though alarmist is fairly accurate
Any of us could develop anaphylaxis with our next sting
The best advice for a problematic sting is a doctor not fellow beekeepers on a forum.

Why?
The advice though alarmist is fairly accurate
Any of us could develop anaphylaxis with our next sting
The best advice for a problematic sting is a doctor not fellow beekeepers on a forum.

:iagree:
It's a lottery. Looking at the ankle, I'd say it looks like the usual response. I've had stings to my hands where the swelling tracked up my arm as far as my bicep and particularly bad throbbing when stung on the shin. There again I've been stung on other occasions with little or no reaction.

:iagree:
It's a lottery. Looking at the ankle, I'd say it looks like the usual response. I've had stings to my hands where the swelling tracked up my arm as far as my bicep and particularly bad throbbing when stung on the shin. There again I've been stung on other occasions with little or no reaction.

Lady in our Association had similar. Next trip was hospital, emergency injections and two years desensitisation. She's fine now..

My poor wife nearly died from a bee sting... others on this forum now make bees wax candles for their sons grave.

THIS IS A SERIOUS MATTER

Seek professional advice

PLEASE !!

Back