Hot spell ventilation requirements

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwinte

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My first Spring with bees... London area forecast for 27C, I'm away and started to worry that I left only Porter escapes in the crown board OMF floor is open. Will that provide enough airflow or do I need 1 or more holes fully open? Sons or a friend can make an easy change like that I think!
Thanks!

Info/rather a topic 2 point:
I have 2 Hives after recent 26/4 split/Artificial Swarm - not quite either by the book. Both hives still have many bees though the hive2 with Queen (on 26/4 at least) is acting swarms (loads of walking on front, large clouds developing from recent emerged brood). This is on brood+half as overwintered. It is the split deep with 4 full frames that is acting very excited, the shallow seems very calm.
Was hurried yesterday to get clearer on the state of play as could not locate the marked queen the previous day. Still could not find her, last sight 26/4 at split time. Worried I may have damaged or killed her somehow. Always spotted her easily until now.
In my ignorance on 4/5 I was not really looking at state of brood and on reflection maybe there was little or no eggs/uncapped, I was not moving bees off frames to look so it is somewhat moot. I noticed a few cells just finishing off capping large larvae - that would fit with lay on 26/4 I think. So Queen could have been missing a while.

This might be influencing behaviour?? No signs of emergency cells. I am not black there until Wednesday - recommendations?

Hive 1 with fliers and soon to emerge QCs seems normal, calm and productive, leaving them to get on with life for now.

Take out the Porter escapes and throw them away (they will be even more useless now as the bees will have propolised them all up.
There is no need for any ventilation in the crown board - so cover up the holes with a bit of slate, tile or plastic takeaway container. The bees can sort out their own air conditioning without us interfering.
I worked hives in Africa, reduced entrances, no ventilation in roofs whatsoever, sheet of corrugated iron as a roof,virtually no shade, solid floors and temperatures in excess of 32 degrees Celsius (it was in the autumn.) and bees coped fine

Latest posts

Back