Goodbye icanhopit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BBC is finally switching off the "cornish internet" today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20032882

Ceefax had initially been developed when BBC engineers, exploring ways to provide subtitles to enable viewers with hearing problems to enjoy BBC TV programmes, found it was possible to transmit full pages of text information in the "spare lines" transmitted on the analogue TV signal.

Top line and one half... you could see the signal if your vertical hold was not balanced!
It also carried all of the BBC's internal telephone network !

:hairpull:What worries me is that I did not know DrS knew that I was one of the development engineers working on CEEFAX at the BBC's Research HQ at Tadworth!:hairpull:

The BBC does produce some things of worth... pity they become diluted and tainted by the like of Countryfile with their airy fairy daft crystal healing floaty frocked new age beekeepering effort... that was a waste of a few Coulombs!:icon_204-2:

i do have some diagnostic skills!!!!!

i presume the move to cornwall was to upgrade the local network to "cornish wi-fi" ie black carrier bees.

Appropriate technology, I miss it. It was always handy for displaying a cricket score or flight arrivals board in the corner of the room that you could glance at as you passed.

I agree. The replacement seems to be quite a big step backwards. Altogether a pretty well calculated revenue generator for the government, prodded by manufacturers, with little or no benefit to consumers...

I agree. The replacement seems to be quite a big step backwards. Altogether a pretty well calculated revenue generator for the government, prodded by manufacturers, with little or no benefit to consumers...

:ohthedrama:

Then there was ORACLE..........

Latest posts

Back