Feeding in the rain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italic63

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,
Here in the north of Italy March and April weather has been underwhelming to say the least. March was hot and dry and April has been cold and wet and it’s still raining so I’ve started to feed my two colonies with 2:1. So far they’ve consumed about 3 pounds of sugar per day each and they still pull down about a bravalle feeder worth per day. Should I keep going or is it too much? I haven’t inspected them in a couple of weeks due to the rain and cold but they seem very active and still very hungry. I lost bees last year in October so extra vigilant this time around.
Thanks for your advice! 🙂

Hi everyone,
Here in the north of Italy March and April weather has been underwhelming to say the least. March was hot and dry and April has been cold and wet and it’s still raining so I’ve started to feed my two colonies with 2:1. So far they’ve consumed about 3 pounds of sugar per day each and they still pull down about a bravalle feeder worth per day. Should I keep going or is it too much? I haven’t inspected them in a couple of weeks due to the rain and cold but they seem very active and still very hungry. I lost bees last year in October so extra vigilant this time around.
Is there much weight when you heft them?

Thanks for the quick reply. It doesn’t feel too heavy to be honest

Hi everyone,
I'd be grabbing a window in the weather and having a look inside....as tricky as that might be.

Back