Extracting from National Brood Frames.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 Plus
Hi

Due to double brooding on some hives and now reducing to single brood.... and the learning curve still extending far in to the distance ...

I have a hive on double brood with plenty of stores in the top box and still plenty below. Put a QE between them and plan to remove in 2 weeks , no larvae or brood in top box, well just a very small amount of capped brood.

So.... how can I extract the honey from these frames, do not fit in my radial extractor, well do but not sitting 100% correct and assume if I tied to spin could collapse.

Want to keep comb for future use.

I would not want to sell my customers frames extracted that have / had had brood in them!

Then our high quality honey and products are sold as being suitable for Vegetarians... green tick approval!

I would uncap with a hairdryer/ paint stripper and feed it back.
Drawn brood frames are gold dust when making up nucs for breeding in the Spring!

Pointless wasting extractor time.... bad enough having to rebuild the machine just to take langstroth super frames!!!

Yeghes da

Thanks

OK, thought had read here due to the properties of honey extracting from previously fused brood frames would be OK, if not though would not do it.

Also probably should have explained, there are a few frames that are freshly drawn and were not used for brood, would like to extract these best method ?

Thanks

OK, thought had read here due to the properties of honey extracting from previously fused brood frames would be OK, if not though would not do it.

Also probably should have explained, there are a few frames that are freshly drawn and were not used for brood, would like to extract these best method ?

Of course honey from previously used brood frames is ok.
Why not ask your assn club if they have an extractor you could borrow for the larger frames.

OK if definitely not previously had brood in them... uncap as usual and spin out... most honey centrifuge manufactures can supply adapters to fit most frame sizes.

I need to add we would NOT sell or offer for sale any honey that was extracted from frames that had had brood in them... we have very high quality control standards... and that GREEN TICK

Yeghes da
!!!

Actually thought that.

After watching tribesmen munching through larvae and honey from wild comb on documentaries, Seeing one of our local Beeks , who lets just say is not so fastidious re ultra straining, and is not adverse to leaving the odd small particle of bee in his honey.

Thought due to germ killing properties of honey how could it be that bad from cleaned cells that previously held brood ??

Actually thought that.

After watching tribesmen munching through larvae and honey from wild comb on documentaries, Seeing one of our local Beeks , who lets just say is not so fastidious re ultra straining, and is not adverse to leaving the odd small particle of bee in his honey.

Thought due to germ killing properties of honey how could it be that bad from cleaned cells ??

Not if you supply to highest standards for veggies!!

However I have a fantastic recipe for Drone brood and Lava flapjack made with honey and best oats... very popular in Pontypridd market in the 1930s according to my mother ( now 95) apparently!!!

Yeghes da

Brian: I have exactly the same issue because I use National brood as supers. I was lucky enough to find in Cargo some cake racks that are almost exactly brood-frame size. Our association extractor is quite large and takes 6 National super frames or, with a bit of persistence, three brood frames at 45 degrees (neither radial nor tangential, but lugs out, in the holders but at an angle) supported by the cake racks. I might get away without them but often use no foundation. It (just) works for me and if your extractor is big enough, you might give it a whirl (pun intended).

ADD 40×25cm was the size but it's gone from there. Around though eg http://www.ekmpowershop9.com/ekmps/...ke-cooling-rack-40cm-x-25cm-metal-10257-p.asp

Last edited:
you could get a few sheets of mesh to support the comb as it's spun.
Cut and fold to make a sleeve that slides over the frames, then it won't matter what angle they sit in the extractor, the mesh sleeve will support the comb.
It can be made fairly loose to cater for different depths of comb, as when spinning the whole frame will rest on the outward side of the sleeve.

I can't see the issue with using the honey, rose hives allow the queen to lay in all frames, then as the brood nest shrinks the higher boxes gets honey replaced in them, I'm sure all the rose hive users do not just feed it back, but strain and sell

I would not want to sell my customers frames extracted that have / had had brood in them!

Then our high quality honey and products are sold as being suitable for Vegetarians... green tick approval!

What a load of tosh - the best way to deal with vegematarians is either
a) don't tell them
or
b) tell them to grow up and eat meat like normal people.

Some radial extractors have converter grills to take three or so frames tangentially and will acommodate deep frames, otherwise ask around fr a loan of one - most of the smaller tabletop tangentials will take deep frames

but strain and sell

That will be on another thread Flow's hives!

The green tick adds a lot of value to a product!!

Anything to extract a few extra bucks from the punters... carnivores or not !!

Yeghes da

What a load of tosh - the best way to deal with vegematarians is either
a) don't tell them
or
b) tell them to grow up and eat meat like normal people.

Some radial extractors have converter grills to take three or so frames tangentially and will acommodate deep frames, otherwise ask around fr a loan of one - most of the smaller tabletop tangentials will take deep frames

Ha ha he he ho ho! Great answer!
Actually I don't think vegetarians have a problem with honey stored in comb which has previously had brood in it. The bees have made the honey...they clean the cells before storing the honey. In any case ....who knows where the nectar has been before it is eventually stored in the comb. Bees pass it over to other bees...they put it in a cell...any cell...then they suck it up and often move it...and spit it out...and suck it up to mix with enzymes etc etc...
I have never heard of vegetarians rejecting their children because they were incubated inside a human body.
Vegetarians eat eggs and drink milk...they have both been inside a brood situation.
Vegans might have issues...but I don't think they eat honey anyway.
I suspect you have found a good advertising niche....and that is good for you but it's not right to put off other people from enjoying their honey by making it sound like it is dirty honey.

There is an important distinction to be made between
- frames that still HAVE brood in them
and
- frames that HAD brood in them previously.

No problem whatsoever with the latter case (just don't use for cut comb!)
Rose, Warré, TBH and no-QX beekeepers routinely take honey from comb that has had brood in it.

However, if there still IS brood there, I'd think it entirely reasonable to leave it (above a QX) until all the brood has emerged ... before extracting.
There shouldn't be any difference in non-veggie residues between ex-brood and crop-super honeys.
Where a difference MAY arise is in after-extraction care and storage. Old brood comb is very very very attractive to Greater Wax Moth. ;)

Yeghes da

That is one if the biggest nonsense in beekeeping that you cannot extract honey from brood frames. Every beekeeper does, except catch and release guys.

Last edited:
So you was afraid to say it yourself. . Did you!

Nope: I admit I do not have the experience or the confidence on here to "lay down the law"

But I did it yesterday and my honey does not seem to suffer. Managed to avoid bursting any old brood combs this time...

The QEs are going back to the willow bushes next year (I admit I used them this year) because lifting 60-odd kilos off a hive to inspect the brood nest is just too much. I can't find Qs in double brood anyway so what's the difference...

Nope: I admit I do not have the experience or the confidence on here to "lay down the law"

What law?
What law says that brood combs cannot be used as honey frames?

Law says that do not extract such frames which just have brood.
If you ectract such, you must label it as "kitchen honey" when you sell it.

The QEs are going back to the willow bushes next year (I admit I used them this year) because lifting 60-odd kilos off a hive to inspect the brood nest is just too much. I can't find Qs in double brood anyway so what's the difference...

60 kg honey. 2 langstroth boxes. Oh dear! How old you are?

Latest posts

Back