Drones and virgin queens.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is some of the most amazing footage of a queen mating in a new documentary called "More than Honey". There is short clip of it available at this link. Best footage I have ever seen....although I think the drone dropping onto the ground afterwards was poetic licence.
Plus the usual rubbish about CCD at the end. But wowowow worth watching and telling your friends.

There is evidence to suggest that the when the queen is on her mating flight that she can detect and rejects drones that are closely related to her. Thus avoiding inbreeding problems. Seems logical to me.

There is some of the most amazing footage of a queen mating in a new documentary called "More than Honey". There is short clip of it available at this link. Best footage I have ever seen....although I think the drone dropping onto the ground afterwards was poetic licence.
Plus the usual rubbish about CCD at the end. But wowowow worth watching and telling your friends.

Thanks Thymallus! I thought it was going to be that horrible one where she is on a stick and gets mobbed. I've not seen this one before.

I am in contact with a girl in Turkey who posted a video of her preparing queen cages in shorts and a vest top. Dusty's bees in hive 2 are the quietest bees I've ever seen but I still couldn't do an inspection without a suit. Are they different types of bee or something?

It's a good thing that they mate on the wing so only the strongest get to mate with her

I am in contact with a girl in Turkey who posted a video of her preparing queen cages in shorts and a vest top. Dusty's bees in hive 2 are the quietest bees I've ever seen

The image of Dusty in shorts and a vest top has just flashed through my mind - quite put me off my cup of tea.
Like Max Boyce's line in the Paris trip monologue " and his two little legs - like two sticks of celery poking out of a carrier bag!"

The image of Dusty in shorts and a vest top has just flashed through my mind - quite put me off my cup of tea.
Like Max Boyce's line in the Paris trip monologue " and his two little legs - like two sticks of celery poking out of a carrier bag!"

:rofl:

It all starts with going gloveless..........

but I still couldn't do an inspection without a suit. Are they different types of bee or something?

No, not the queen on a pin..... Some amazing photography. Particularly liked the cigar being lit at the end, bit like smoking after sex.

My first inspection without a suit on was when I forgot to pack the damn thing in the car. It's a little weird...at first.
BUT you do need docile bees and confidence. Still working on the last bit. Best I do now is suit on but hood thrown over the back (just in case), and then only rarely on a good warm day...still working on it.
Wouldn't go near my few remaining locals without full kit. Buckfast, Carniolans or Italians seem best.

Latest posts

Back