Disabling speed camera alerts on satnavs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luminos

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Less than 100. Er, 6, actually...
Evidently there's a law been passed here, that to use the speed camera warning system on a satnav is now illegal, and must now be disabled.
This is backed up by an e-mail I received from my satnav manufacturer.

Is that also the case in the UK?
I thought it was only illegal in Switzerland up to now.

I've not heard anything through work but I'll do a bit of research now

Does the warning system work?
If you are travelling at any speed by the time your machine has picked up the fact that your vehicle is being zapped it's too late,surely
As for the position of static cameras this information is widely available on the internet.

I work on road works recovery, and just called our TCSO (traffic officer) and he said its still ok in the uk.

I've read about this a few times in travel advice from motoring organisations, your local police are really hot on this esp. for us Brits.

Not heard anything about it in UK, but I do travel slowly these days (unless chasing a swarm)

ok in the UK has been illegal in France for a while but they would have to catch you first.

I think the OP is on about fixed speed cams with sat nav, not radar detector.

Yes, up until very recently, the sat nav ones were legal here

Does the warning system work?
If you are travelling at any speed by the time your machine has picked up the fact that your vehicle is being zapped it's too late,surely
As for the position of static cameras this information is widely available on the internet.
You have the option to warn you of a 'safety' camera at a distance to suit yourself :)
VM

At the risk of stating the obvious - isn't speeding illegal?
Of course - even here ;)

I never knowingly exceed the speed limit, as I'm never really in a hurry, but the signage is sometimes somewhat lacking in rural areas, and it's easy to make an erreur...

At the risk of stating the obvious - isn't speeding illegal?

Yup, but i have been known to break the law on a few occasions on my R6, without any Satnavs telling me there are cameras up front :eek:

Interesting. Does that mean they're removing the helpful motorway signs that are placed a few hundred yards ahead of fixed speed cameras informing you of their presence?

Interesting. Does that mean they're removing the helpful motorway signs that are placed a few hundred yards ahead of fixed speed cameras informing you of their presence?

Indeed. Warning signs are/will be removed :(

i thought it was illegal in france for several years now, when we went on the ferry last april they were telling us not to use them, they work by sending and or reciving a lazer beam some how and the frence police can in some of the models get feed back which then tells them you are using an illegal item, or they just pull you over and have a look on the front dash.

and no they are not banned in the uk just france and it will creep around europ very quickly too

The whole point of speed camera's is to slow you down. If that happens through a warning from your satnav then the system works. The point of speed camera's, contrary to popular belief is NOT to catch you and fine you!!! Believe me, I have inside knowledge although I am now retired!!!!!
No warning devices are illegal in this country as the reduction in speed is what is being aimed for by whatever means. All camera's have to be placed at accident sites not at revenue sites. Lower speeds, less injuries.

The whole point of speed camera's is to slow you down. If that happens through a warning from your satnav then the system works. The point of speed camera's, contrary to popular belief is NOT to catch you and fine you!!! Believe me, I have inside knowledge although I am now retired!!!!!
No warning devices are illegal in this country as the reduction in speed is what is being aimed for by whatever means. All camera's have to be placed at accident sites not at revenue sites. Lower speeds, less injuries.

This is what I have always been lead to believe but I then can't understand why it is illegal to warn a driver coming the other way about a speed trap. All you are doing is trying to reduce the speed of drivers which is supposedly what the camera is trying to do.

To me it is not logical to say the speed camera is aimed at reducing speed and make it illegal for others to try to do the same thing.

This is what I have always been lead to believe but I then can't understand why it is illegal to warn a driver coming the other way about a speed trap. All you are doing is trying to reduce the speed of drivers which is supposedly what the camera is trying to do.

To me it is not logical to say the speed camera is aimed at reducing speed and make it illegal for others to try to do the same thing.
Smoke and mirrors .
Speed cameras are a partnership .
Radar traps are a police led endevour . The message here is DON'T EMBARRASS the police or you will be charged with Obstrucing them in the course of their duties!!
VM

You're dead right Vic!! It isn't illegal as such to flash your lights. It is illegal to obstruct the police in the course of their duty. It has to be one having a really bad day to push that and is more likely to be down to inexperience. Be polite, remorseful and smile or cry. It sometimes works!!! The camera's are a partnership between councils and police but most of them are being withdrawn. It is in the Police and the Councils interests to reduce injury collisions so both are/should be working towards the same goal and sticking to the strict guidelines.
Nuff said
smile.

Latest posts

Back