DCA’s do they exist?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polomadh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Do Drone Congregation Areas, which are mentioned in many reference books actually exist?
Is there anyone out there that has practical experience of hunting for and finding one?

Do Drone Congregation Areas, which are mentioned in many reference books actually exist?
Is there anyone out there that has practical experience of hunting for and finding one?
Karl Showler regularly found one on the sports field at Gormanston, with long fishing rod, queen pheromone attached

Yeah, I know where the closest one is to my apiary. Wasn't hard to find as it is a hill in a flat landscape, an old slag heap to be exact, now covered in trees.
The theories in beowulfs book make the most sense as to why they are in the same place year on year.

I noticed a DCA at a village apiary in Balcombe , W .Sx. When I was in my very early years of beeking, I arrived and thought damn a swarm but the din was different and I could see the cloud of bees in the sky. I stayed put and watched and eventually witnessed 100's of drones returning to the three colonies, what a din.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, I was reading about this yesterday on the excellent Apiarist blog:

Radar love - The Apiarist
It's a really interesting synopsis of the study which basically concludes ... we still don't know why DCA's are where they are or how drones and queens find them :)

But we know don't we ? Confluence of energy lines ....tin hat on. Ready to go ...

It's a really interesting synopsis of the study which basically concludes ... we still don't know why DCA's are where they are or how drones and queens find them :)

But we know don't we ? Confluence of energy lines ....tin hat on. Ready to go ...
Reminds me... I should add the dowsing rods to my swarm collecting kit ;)

I went to a meeting with the Devon Research Group and they found two on the hills by Axminster Castle. Fascinating, using a long pole and a queen and a pheromone. Both worked. Keep meaning to try it around my Apiary which is on a hill.

How far from a DCA can drones pick up a pheromone scent?
Do they need to be anywhere near a DCA to pick up a scent? The AVM phenomena would suggest they don't, I'm not a great believer in AVM being a sub species speciality but there are plenty of large scale queen mating apiaries where that behaviour has been witnessed, I think hivemaker mentioned it on here once or twice for instance.

I wonder if any of the DCAs which are found by the use of pheromones and poles are actually the result of the pheromones and poles?

I have wondered the same thing. Without demonstrating that the human-supplied pheromones and poles aren't responsible it doesn't seem like a very reliable way of demonstrating that the DCA existed independently.

James

I have wondered the same thing. Without demonstrating that the human-supplied pheromones and poles aren't responsible it doesn't seem like a very reliable way of demonstrating that the DCA existed independently.

James
Have a read of the Apiarist blog above, and the radar tracking of individual drones.

Back