Clear Crown Boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smallbeehive

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Where can I get a decent one? Wanted one to go under my insulation for winter so I could have a peek at the bee's without too much disturbance but also wanted one strong enough to support a 4 pint rapid feeder etc if needed. I searched through the forum and read a lot of comments saying you need 6mm thick, the Thorne one I found is only 3mm thick.

you could make some if you can get the perspex/polycarbonate.
i found some 6mm stuff of some old signs and made a couple not sure theyd hold a 4 pint feeder without sagging though.

Most people make their own ... 4mm will support a feeder without bending - there are firms on eBay that sell 4mm polycarbonate...
There's even ones that will cut it to size for you. I get mine from the local recycling centres- old shower cubicle doors and side panels. Then cut them on my circular saw (a fine tooth hand saw will do it though - bit tedious). Drill a hole in the centre with a tank hole saw and glue the cut out to s square piece bigger than the hole and use that to close the hole when you are not feeding them.. the bees will propolise it to seal it in place. If you want top bee space you will need a 6mm rim round the edge. I use strips of either 6mm hardwood or strips of 6mm polycarbonate to form the rim.

As pargyle except I get mine cut to size from the polycarbonate shop and Stan cuts a feeder hole and puts rims round them. 4 mm does brilliantly.... hives and nucs have them

Oh, and bait hives. Very useful to see what you’ve caught

Where can I get a decent one? Wanted one to go under my insulation for winter so I could have a peek at the bee's without too much disturbance but also wanted one strong enough to support a 4 pint rapid feeder etc if needed. I searched through the forum and read a lot of comments saying you need 6mm thick, the Thorne one I found is only 3mm thick.

I make mine with 3mm polycarbonate. Absolutely no problem whatsoever sitting a raid feeder on top.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:
I make mine with 3mm polycarbonate. Absolutely no problem whatsoever sitting a raid feeder on top.

Same here, I was donated some 3mm so tried it and it works a treat even with the large 6 litre English feeders

But why do crown boards always come with cut outs for porter escapes, which are totally useless and to be avoided at all costs?

Easier to fill a hole than to cut one. Not just for escapes but feeders etc. And of course top ventilation (irony alert: see other thread).

Easier to fill a hole than to cut one. Not just for escapes but feeders etc. And of course top ventilation (irony alert: see other thread).
So how nice it would be if the crown boards came with the plug they had so thoughtfully cut out!

£25! Ouch

Yeah was a bit expensive but it's really thick clear plastic and compared to thinner clear plastic ones on offer for around £20 everywhere else it seemed like a bargain for approx £5 more plus it comes with some insulation and has the small space above to allow for more insulation on top so perfect for wintering for me.

Next time, https://www.bees-online.co.uk/detail.asp?ID=132&name=Glass-Quilt £18

In either case, careful how you bang them though: I have one "under repair" and it looks hard to rebuild.

Glass though not sure if this is right but I have read is better to use clear plastic which insulates better & gets less condensation glass can get and stay colder. I know my plastic glazed greenhouse stays a good few degrees warmer than the glass one every winter.

But why do crown boards always come with cut outs for porter escapes
Because they do!!! you can't just go changing something that's only been around since the second world war!!!!you have to wait at least a millenium or you would cause a tear in the beekeeping space/time continuum. What next? abolishing 'spring cleaning'? not feeding needlessly in spring? eschewing annual shook swarms?
Having an annual honey yield of more than five kilos!!?
I though I could hear the beginnings of wailing and the gnashing of teeth when I was at a meeting at Stoneleigh yesterday

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back