chunk honey cut from frame

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJC

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
A place I supply wants to offer small (2cm sq ish) pieces of cut comb with their cheese and biscuits. I've said potentially a bit messy, and will need to store frame upright etc. An alternative might be to freeze the whole frame, and then cut it up into portion sizes whilst frozen; store in the freezer as portions, and then defrost as needed (would need to be a bit in advance of course). Would this work?

Cut the frame into portions then freeze. You won’t cut a frozen frame without making a mess.
Thanks; why would a frozen frame make (more) mess - too hard to cut; wax will shatter, or on,ly frozen to a'soft set' consistency?

Thanks; why would a frozen frame make (more) mess - too hard to cut; wax will shatter, or on,ly frozen to a'soft set' consistency?
First two. Fresh comb is much easier to cut. Also to avoid the messy bit you mention you should drain the comb ( like you do for showing comb) so that the portion you package isn’t dripping with surplus honey

why would a frozen frame make (more) mess - too hard to cut; wax will shatter, or on,ly frozen to a'soft set' consistency?
A hot wire may work best, though I can't think of a way to achieve that.

Wax is brittle when frozen so may shatter, but freezing and cutting sounds as if it might make a neater job than in Roger's photo above, of the authentically messy hotel honey.

Give freezing and cutting a go (hot knife, cold knife) and let us know how it turns out.

You wouldn’t cut a frozen frame. Defrost, cut it up and refreeze.
The same way you wire frames?
The trouble with a hot wire is thst unless you pull the surfaces apart while using it they fuse togther again.

Latest posts

Back